Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Booting Issue] Recently built desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jared~

Jared~

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:00 AM

I recently put together a desktop but have run into an issue where it will no longer power on. I'm having a hard time pinpointing the problem since it was working just up until a few hours ago.

Issue details:
I shut down the computer normally, no issues with it while running that I could see. A few hours later I went to turn it on and nothing happened. The motherboard standby and GPU power lights are on when plugged in, but nothing happens when the power button is pressed. No fans, no beeps, no reaction whatsoever. I had been using it for about eight hours a day for roughly a week prior, shutting it down at night and turning it on in the morning.

What's been tried to no result:
Bridging the gap between the pins of the power switch
Pressing the manual power button on the motherboard itself
Disconnecting the GPU to reduce load on PSU

PC Build:
CPU: [/size]AMD FD8320FRHKBOX FX-8320 FX-Series 8-Core[/size]
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 750Ti GDDR5 2GB[/size]
RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB Kit (2x4GB) 1600MHz DDR3 CL10 DIMM[/size]
PSU: Corsair CX Series 600 Watt ATX/EPS[/size]
SSD: Crucial M500 240GB SATA 2.5-Inch 7mm Internal Solid State Drive[/size]
Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard[/size]
Optical Drive: Asus 24x DVD-RW Serial-ATA Internal OEM Optical Drive[/size]

I've read that it's most likely the PSU or Motherboard but was hoping that the specifics of the issue might make it easier to narrow it down, or find other possible solutions before spending money on a new part. Thanks.[/size]

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 January 2015 - 06:20 PM.
moved from Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:02 PM

Disconnecting the GPU sounds like a good idea but did you take it out entirely?  I would try pulling out the video card and re-seating the ram disconnect the cdrom and hard drive see if you can get a POST beep.  Did you already update the bios?  If it was running once I do not suspect that it would be component failure.  I would make sure your power connections on the motherboard are seated well. (there appears to be two connectors)

As I said pull out the video card and the memory and re-seat them both.  Leave the hard drive and cdrom disconnected and see if you can at least get the POST screen to come up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users