Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lets Talk Security

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 MathsDude

MathsDude

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

I wanna know what u guys think are the best firewalls, best AVs etc... and what does your system have.

Right Ive got bitDefender pro plus 9
Keiro personal firewall 4( got an option of this or the bitdefender firewall)
As for spyware.... the usual:
search & destroy
ad-aware pro
hijackthis
tuneup utilities
advanced uninstaller pro 2006
ccleaner
spyware blaster

Although i think i have one too many spyware programs I like to see what they all pick and what they dont.

As for browsing I dont need to mention firefox extensions u guys probebly already have but I will mention CallingID which is not an firefox extension but works with it or IE if there anyone who uses it!!! wacko.gif

Like to hear your opinions

thumbup.gif
MathsDude

PS: this is the same as the one which is under introductions! Sorry still a bit of a noobie on here!!!! :thumbsup:
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:14 PM

See the following thread, it's the same exact thing you're asking with 19 replies:

The Best Anti-Virus and Anti-Malware?

Enjoy :thumbsup:
--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#3 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:19 PM

Also try the following links:
Virus And Malware Resources

Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Apps

Hope this helps,
Charles :thumbsup:

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:26 PM

heh!

Thnxs guys for ur replies!!!!

Sort of knew that someone must of asked the same question a while ago.....

But in this world we always nd to be updated with the very best!!!!! Just hoping people have some new things to mention ir something
If anyone ever tells you that you are a geek, just simply reply: " Geeks get rich, popular people get to live in council flats!!!!"

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:56 PM

Sort of knew that someone must of asked the same question a while ago.....

The thread Harry83 linked to was started 2 weeks and 3 days ago.
The last post was 2 days ago.
All the information in that thread is just as relevant now, as it was then.

The 2 threads rookie147 linked to are updated on a regular basis.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:38 AM

Hi MathsDude.

With Spybot, do you have Resident Teatimer enabled - this is realtime protection.

You have Spyware Blaster. A sister program is Spyware Guard, also realtime.

These four work together to keep you pretty safe.

I also use Kerio Firewall and Avast AntiVirus.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:03 AM

Em... no I dont have it on.
Not sure if I even need to have it on.
PLs reply if u think there is more to this. I dont use advanced mode. Do you?????

#8 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:14 AM

Too right. That's where all the tools are. A quick, easy way to handle your startup items, securely delete files, etc. As long as you don't go berserk, and check things out prior to unchecking them, Spybot is a very handy program. Millions of people use it very successfully.

As with everything, you just have to take care.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#9 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 06:21 AM

so you do use advanced mode.?

Em a bit concern cos i use bitdefender which has a conctant virus scan and when using teatimer my cpu usage goes a bit crazy!!! :thumbsup:
Maybe its just a glitch.

Thnks anyway for spotting that out. I guess advanced mode does give u the most out of the program. Just as long I dont go bezerk as u mentioned

I just wonder how much protection can one person have on his pc/laptop without overdoing it!!!!! :inlove:
I mean Ive just added Wintasks pro 5 as well to the list of system utility/spyware programs :flowers:

Hope to hear from you soon( about anything really)

:trumpet:
MathsDude

#10 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

You're paying for Ad-Aware SE? I don't mean to trash it or anything but I think you can spend your money elseware in security that will deliver much more protection. For one thing, Ad-Aware SE has a free mode where the only major downfall is no real-time protection; however, if you spent the (what $30 a year?) for Ad-Aware SE Pro on a more powerful program say... Spyware Doctor, SpySweeper, or CounterSpy (all three are, in my opinion, much more powerful than Ad-Aware SE and are the top three anti-spyware programs) and replaced Ad-Aware SE Pro with Ad-Aware SE Free, then I believe your security will have doubled in strength. Also, if you choose to switch from Ad-Aware SE Pro to one of the three programs I mentioned, Spybot's teatimer won't be necessary at all because those three AS programs have some of the most powerful and advanced real-time protection and prevention systems out there.
Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#11 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

Heh!

Hello elandi. No I dont pay for it, u think im silly!!! :thumbsup:

This is why I set up thie topic, so I can get peoples responses.

So u think that the programs u mentioned are far more better.. Is that what u use???????
How about having all of them???? Is that of any benefit????

Hope to hear from you.

:flowers:
MathsDude

#12 Harry83

Harry83

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:48 AM

How about having all of them???? Is that of any benefit????

No there would be no benefit to having all of them...all three of those programs are comparable to each other...Just having one of them in addition to what you've got would be all you need. If you wanted to buy an anti-malware program then I would go with one of the ones Elendil mentioned (Spyware Doctor, Counterspy, Spy Sweeper).

For the best protection possible I recommend:

Fully updated machine!
Software Firewall (Kerio, ZA, Sygate, etc)
1 Commercial Anti-Malware program (Counterspy, Spyware Doctor, Spy Sweeper)
Either AVG free for an AV or 1 commercial AV (Bitdefender works)
Firefox instead of IE
Spyware Blaster
Spyware Guard

If you want to see exactly what I use, then refer to the previous thread link I posted.

Quick Note: You can make a totally FREE security suite, that would protect you quite effectively...that was also discussed in the other thread.

Edited by Harry83, 24 June 2006 - 11:50 AM.

--
Harry83
Posted Image
Liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...

#13 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

SO u think adding Spysweeper would be a gd addition to the whole list of things Ive got!!! :thumbsup:

I c where u r coming from. Im not sure I agree with elandi who says adawre aint good, cos I know its gd.
Too be honest I havent had any serious threats for around a year now.
Biut its always to be on the safe side.

Thnxs for your reply Harry.

PS: Do like your quote: liberating America From Spyware - 1 Computer at a time...
So I should deal with UK then????? :flowers:

:trumpet:
MathsDude

#14 MathsDude

MathsDude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:43 PM

Can you go over what u said about making a security suite?????

Cant seem to find it in the thread.
Maybe its me being silly......... :thumbsup:

#15 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 12:48 PM

Im not sure I agree with elandi who says adawre aint good, cos I know its gd.

I was never implying that Ad-Aware SE is not good because it is an essential tool in my security defense plan; in your original post, you said you had Ad-Aware Pro which inclined me to believe that you were indeed paying for it. Should you have been paying for it, I was going to suggest you switch to the free version and buy SpySweeper or one of the other products instead. In regards to what I use, no I don't pay a cent for anything related to security products, but instead stick with the loads of freeware avaliable to anyone who is willing to do a bit of research; yet, I'm debating on whether or not I do want SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, or CounterSpy. I haven't tried CounterSpy yet, so after I do I might make a decision on whether or not I want to buy which one of those three to buy if any.

Edited by Elendil, 24 June 2006 - 12:59 PM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users