Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming video with Ubuntu 14.04

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jmtjet

jmtjet

• Members
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

Is it possible to stream video from my Lenovo laptop running Ubuntu 14.04 to my Samsung smart TV?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:03 AM

Try Media Tomb

http://mediatomb.cc/

To install MediaTomb via command line type the following two commands:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install mediatomb

Or find it in Ubuntu Software Centre.

http://youtu.be/piJ5Bmxx5Kc

http://youtu.be/duYGGYJ5lp8

Edited by NickAu, 24 January 2015 - 12:10 AM.

#3 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

What's wrong with running an HDMI cable between the 2, or do I have something installed I don't know about.  There is some media I can't seem to get on linux without installing anything extra, but anything I can get on my monitor comes up on my smat vizio tv.  It acts just like a big monitor.  If media tomb will help, get different web sites and videos, I'll give it a try sometime.

#4 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

yeah... use your TV as the monitor and my recommendation is to use xbmc.... called kodi now

for a dedicated server download and install mX-14 if no load- At the menu screen, press 'e' to edit and then use the arrows keys to navigate to the line that begins linux boot etc and go to the end of that line (make sure you leave a space after ro) and type acpi=off. Now press F10. If X won't start or XBMC starts with a black screen add 'vga=791' or 'vga=792'. to make acpi/vga commands permanent: (in X) Grub Customizer, General Settings, Kernel settings. Add commands there, save and reboot. if video jerky or XBMC starts with a black screen: run Nvidia_install script

then:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-kodi/ppa; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install kodi; kodi

if that doesn't work:
sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:team-kodi/ppa; sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-kodi/unstable; sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install kodi; kodi

Whith multiple cores have hyperthreading turned on in the BIOS , as XMBC will take advantage of that.

However, if you can't have a dedicated server install 'xbmc' onto your operating system (http://www.tvaddons.ag.com/blog/how-to-install-xbmc/). Then start the program (xbmc).
From within xbmc:
- Navigate to “System” (in the middle bar) and then click “File Manager”
- Click on “Add source”.
- Type “
- Enter a name for the Source, “Fusion”
- Click “OK”.
- Right click on nothing (sides/top/bottom) to return to the main menu.
- System->Settings-> Click “Add-ons”
- If first run screen appears click 'OK'.
- Select “Install from zip file”.
- Select source just named.
- From home: System->Settings-> Click “Add-ons”
- Select “Install from zip file”.
- Select source just named.
- Click on desired service to install. (video)
- Select desired sub folder. (free tv)
- Select desired program. (movie25-repository.the_silencer-1.1.zip)
- Click “get addons'.
- Click desired repository. (The_Silencer’s REPO)
- Click on “Video Add-ons”.
- Select what desire. (Movie25)
- Click install.
- After it says 'enabled' you are ready to go.

tknoris = 1channel, stream all the sources
eldorado = projectfreetv
silencer = movie25

If you want other language tv (“install from zip”-> "world” best is TVALACARTA 

HD add-ons: GoMovies, losmovies, icefilms, yids (you need a fast connection for HD)

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#5 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

What I don't understand, or wonder about , is I didn't get any new program, just what I came with at least mint, I think either open suse, or ubuntu also , just connected with an hdmi cable.  I've been using a windows 7 acer laptop for watching tv shows, had problems with it for awhile, and hooked up a gateway laptop that I have linux on, and it worked.  Actually I'm not positive I gues which distros were booting, but those are the 3 I have on that laptop, and I the tv became a monitor with it.  I had been told it would work that way with windows, and when I tried my other laptop with linux, they worked too.  As I said, it might have already had a program with it, but I didn't download any.  I'd like to know more websites where I can get old tv shows.  I guess I'm nostalgic, and like tv shows I remember as a kid thru thirties, from the 50's thru early eighties.  

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

What's wrong with running an HDMI cable between the 2,

The OP asked about streaming,  All that is doing is using the TV as a big monitor, However your suggestion is right if that's all the OP wants to do.

#7 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.  I thought watching live news events was streaming, or watching videos without downloading.  My bad, I apologize.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users