Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exchanging hard drives

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OkieDarling

OkieDarling

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:33 PM

Hey y'all, it's my first time posting a question, so if it's in the wrong place, apologies in advance...

I have a HP ProBook 4520s that I can no longer use due to the fact the screen is black.  It has been diagnosed with a bad motherboard, which unfortunately I cannot afford to have replaced at the time.  My question is this: Is it possible to save all my data by transferring to another computer, or perhaps exchanging hard drives?

Please bear in my mind I am only minimally fluent in techspeak, and thank you for taking the time to contemplate my query.

:) 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

The drive can be removed put into an enclosure, it can then be plugged into a working computer.  You cannot put the drive into another computer it will not be recognized.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 Nawt0k

Nawt0k

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

There are some relatively cost effective solutions.  You could use one such as this.....

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

IMO these days some thought is needed when picking an enclosure, any enclosure should be fan cooled, USB 3 and backwards compatible down to USB 1 & 2.  I did several nights research before settling on the Roswill, they are about the best only $3-4 more then the cheap ones that have no fan or ON/Off switches.  It is nice to hit a switch rather yanking wires out of ports, check out the Roswill RX-358 V2 it is truly high quality.

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:21 AM

Hello and welcome, 

First of all - may I ask what is the brand of your HDD? Off course, as others already said, external docking station is the logical solution, since this device may also prove useful in the future. 
Another possible solution is to connect the drive to a regular PC (if you have one available) as a "secondary" drive, directly to a free internal SATA port. According to the standard, SATA data/power connectors are universal and there is no risk of damage if you connect a 2,5" disk to a desktop system. At this point you only concern would be fixing the HD in the case, but since this will be a temporary solution it shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully you can than transfer all of your data and even use the drive in the future that way. 

Anyway, if you can affort an external docking station - go ahead, since this setup can than be used as an external HDD, a very practical and useful device.

Best regards, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 26 January 2015 - 10:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users