Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Welp, I'm back. New BSoD, Code 0X7E with nvlddmkm.sys

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Bruggs

Bruggs

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

So, after I fixed all the crashes from the original issues, I've got this.

First, anytime audio starts on anything, including bootup, you hear this static/crackling sound. Launch a YouTube or Netflix video, and the same thing. It tends to "work itself out" after a few seconds. But, as of lately, it has gotten worse. The audio is coming from the GPU through an HDMI cable it a LCD TV. But, back to the issues. Lately the video bogs down and lags badly, like 8 FPS badly. When it gets like that, the drivers crash and the browsers need to be restarted. Other times it freezes the whole computer and I need to do a hard boot. It started to get real bad about a month ago when I was playing BF4 and the game just lagged. I usually get at least 35-40 FPS. But, that day it dropped to 11.

Now, tonight it finally crashed and I got the error codes. The 0X7E is a new one to me, but the nvlddmkm.sys is my old friend from when I was getting BSoD all the time. Is my card junk? When I plug headphones into the front jacks, awesome sound, headset into the USB on the back, awesome sound. PC/GPU to TV via HDMI, crap. I'll add the pic from tonight and specs are listed below. All drivers are current, too. I will also link a clip from my YouTube channel where you can hear the audio.

http://youtu.be/FF8WmulZvMk

Specs

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2400 Memory Storage:
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (OS)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Game Drive)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 4GB ROG Video Card
Case: Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply

Attached Files

Edited by Bruggs, 23 January 2015 - 09:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:40 PM

Have you verified your GPU isn't overheating?

Have you overclocked your GPU at any point?

With the power off and unplugged, remove the graphics card from the computer and try cleaning the fan and heatsink with some compressed air or dustoff. While it is out, clean the gold contacts on the PCI-e connector with some paper.

Make sure the PCI-e slot on the motherboard is clear of any dust as well and then reassemble.

Let me know what your GPU idle and load temps are after this.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

#3 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

I just blew it out a few weeks back, not much dust build up since. I pulled the card last night and reseated it, still no joy. I'm adding a screenshot of the GPU stats taken from MSI Afterburner. I never over clocked the thing, nothing on this machine is over clocked. The only adjustments I made in the BIOS was enabling the XMP and running the RAM at the 2400 Mhz.

What I've noticed is that if I'm jamming tunes, and then launch a browser, the audio starts to lag, sounds staticy and crackles. Sometimes it'll crash my whole machine. Tonight I got a new error code, 0X0116

EDIT: Okay, it won't let me upload the picture because it says max file size can only be 29KB. Nothing is that small anymore.

But, at idle the GPU is at 28c according to Afterburner.

Edited by Bruggs, 25 January 2015 - 02:41 AM.

#4 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:47 AM

On BF4 with settings at ultra, the GPU Usage was 100% and temps were no higher that 54c.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:57 AM

Make sure your nVidia driver is up to date and is the correct version for your system.

If possible, try using a different video card and see if the issue persists.

The 0X7E error code can be caused by a number of things, from not enough disk space, to corrupt drivers, to hardware issues, to an outdated BIOS. https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff559239(v=vs.85).aspx

Because the first parameter indicates a memory access violation, you may also want to test your system memory using memtest86+ or the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool.

#6 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Here's a question. Coulld the the GPU be bottlenecking? The TV it is hooked up to is a no name TV. So, could the data being pushed through get bogged down once it hits the display?

I've got 100GB of space on my OS SSD, RAM is fine, BIOS and drivers are all current. It just seems at loading of audio/video everything gets laggy.

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:15 PM

You could try hooking up a different monitor/TV to see if it makes a difference. If it's not the drivers or the hardware on your computer, it may well be the monitor itself.

Although that wouldn't explain the blue screens. Those are definitely being caused by something with your system.

Edited by sflatechguy, 25 January 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#8 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

I'm glad to hear it isn't overheating!

Some nvidia cards need a little more voltage to run stable, I've had a similar problem with an MSI Gaming GTX 780.

Do you have ASUS GPU Tweak installed?

#9 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:39 PM

I didn't really install any of that software that came with it. I just installed drivers for everything.

#10 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Go ahead and install the Asus GPU tweak program, you'll want to increase the minimum core voltage just a little bit (+0.01v) and see if that makes any difference.

#11 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:29 PM

So, here are the numbers as shown on GPU Tweek

GPU Boost Clock(Mhz) 1150

Min GPU Voltage(mV) 0962

Max GPU Voltage(mV) 1210

Memory Clock(Mhz) 6008

After I added the the .01, it still has issues. I took a video of the sound issues that I am having. This also crashes my machine. It just did when I went to view the video.

http://youtu.be/sVH7t969N0I

#12 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

If you notice, though it's a bad video, the sound levels back out to normal after a few seconds. I just tried to watch the video and the display driver stopped responding and the screen went black for a few seconds.

This is just so frustrating. Is the GPU damaged? Is it bad? When I listen though any other audio device (i.e. headphones or headset) the audio is beautiful. It's crisp, clear, and is just perfect.

#13 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

Raise the min gpu voltage to 1000mV and try it again.

Does the display driver also stop responding or crash when you are using the other audio devices?

#14 Bruggs

Bruggs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

It still crashes with a USB Headset on. And, I jumped it up to 1000mV and it still has garbled audio. About 15 seconds after I raised the voltage the driver stopped again. Or so MS would say.

#15 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:04 PM

Some video issues can be traced to problems with the power supply itself, particularly when high-end graphics cards are in use. How old is the power supply on your computer? Do you have, or have access to a multimeter or a power supply tester you can use to test it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users