Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Start Up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bikefixer

bikefixer

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:21 PM

I HAVE A PENT 4 PROCESSOR AT 1.6 GHZ 512MB RAM AND 160 GB HARD DRIVE. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO MAKE MY COMPUTER START UP QUICKER AND RUN BETTER AND QUIETER. MY HARD DRIVE PRETTY MUCH FULL.

THANKS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:39 PM

"MY HARD DRIVE PRETTY MUCH FULL"

Thats probably your problem right there. If the hard drive your system is located on fills up, programs will run slowly and Windows will run slowly as well. I would suggest uninstalling some programs or games you don't use, and then defragment your hard drive.

Just another little suggestion, not to be rude, but reading text in all CAPS isn't the greatest thing in the world.

Posted Image

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

You need 18% free space on your hard drive for many Windows functions to work normally.

#4 JU$T1N

JU$T1N

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Start up Time and overall performance can be quickly gained by using a built in program (In Win XP) called MSCONFIG:
(Start / Run / MSCONFIG)

From here you will be able to configure programs and services that start when windows starts.

This will make your computer start faster and have less running in the background giving you better performance and quicker startup times all in one.

More info available on request...
JU$T1N~1

#5 rookie147

rookie147

• Members
  • 5,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

You could also try installing a program such as CleanUp!, which cleans out temporary files from your computer, and could free you up quite a bit of space; especially if you have such as full PC at the moment.
CleanUp! is available for download here.
Of course, wait until you have freed up some space before running this program, as it will take a little bit of memory to install it..
Hope this helps,
Charles :thumbsup:

If you are pleased with the service I have offered, you may like to consider making a donation. Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users