Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[SSD] HP Pavilion G6 Series - Want to change the HDD for a SSD, recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:58 PM

Hey guys :)

So I have a HP Pavilion G6 Series laptop that is almost 3 years old now. It's getting way slower, and it doesn't fit my needs for what I do in my program (IT program with a lot of programming and IDEs like Visual Studio, Netbeans, SQL Server Management, etc.) So I thought that instead of buying a brand new overpriced laptop at $800-900, I would just swap the HDD inside it for a new SSD. I already upgraded the RAM to 8GB and I have i5-2410M CPU at 2.30GHz, which makes the laptop quite decent, except for the HDD I think which is 450GB at 5.2k RPM. I'm looking to get a SSD of at around 300-320GBs to fit my needs. If I need additional storage, I'll carry an external HDD (well, I'll use the old HDD as an external HDD, I'll just buy a casing for it).

Hence my question: what SSD would you recommend me for that? Also, can any normal SSD fit in a laptop, or does it have to be a special kind of SSD?

I have a HP Pavilion G6-1B53CA (QA066UA#ABC) laptop. I'll be installing Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bits on it (if it makes any differences).
Here's the technical information page on HP website (if ever needed): http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5118785&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#Z7_LAI0GH40KGGIE0AKF0CNEN2083

And the current HDD is Hitachi HTS547550A9E384 (if it makes any differences).

Awaiting your suggestions :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Almost all the SSDs are same sized.And yeah.A SSD upgrade would really increase the boot time of the softwares.The intel series SSDs are great.But I think they come with at least over 400 GB.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

I've been recommended Samsung EVO and Crucial SSDs, but I think they only come in 256Gb and 512Gb (more or less, no in between). I currently have an Intel SSD on my desktop computer (120Gb) and it's running perfectly fine, so I can consider them as well. What about Corsair SSD? We use them at work, are they good?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

Well I think intel SSDs will be the best choice.And intel SSDs have those epic numbers of GBs.You can check for yourself. :)

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:06 PM

I will thanks :) Someone told me about mSATA drives yesterday. I thought I could just buy a small 120GB mSATA SSD instead and use it to install Windows 8.1 on it and keep my 500Gb HDD for storage but apparently my laptop doesn't have mSATA. Such a good plan thrown away in the water.

unite_blue.png

#6 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

If it is in your budget, I would go with a Samsung 850 Pro/Evo series SSD. The pro series has a 10 year warranty, and the evo has a 5 year warranty, which is great for a hard drive. I have been installing 850 Pro's in all the computers I've built since it came out and had no complaints. Also, any SSD will fit fine in the laptop.

Edited by Aerys, 26 January 2015 - 05:55 PM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

Thank you Aerys. Now I'm considering maybe selling my laptop and buying a newer one that have a SSD as I might spend less money that way. But it's like impossible to find a 15'6 laptop with 8GB of RAM, a i5 CPU and a SSD, all together. Why...

unite_blue.png

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

One thing to look out for. See if the current drive is 9.5MM or 7MM thick. If 9.5MM thick and the SSD is 7MM you will probably need to add a spacer like this.

spacer.jpg

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:18 PM

I guess you can buy spacers for these online? And at a cheap price?

unite_blue.png

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,946 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:36 PM

Crucial includes the spacer with the drive from what I have seen.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSD95MMSPCR/

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

I'm considering Crucial SSDs. Crucial and Samsung. Waiting for opinions on Intel and Corsair SSDs as well.

unite_blue.png

#12 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

I have an Intel 520 series in my home computer, and the Samsung 850s are definitely faster, even if its not really that much. I think personally that warranty is worth buying over the speed, dead hard drives come in to my shop almost weekly. You won't have to buy another one for the computer for 10 years. Also, I just don't think the SSD option is very widespread in laptops yet, not sure why, but it does seem hard to find good specs and an SSD anywhere.

Edited by Aerys, 28 January 2015 - 09:18 AM.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:20 AM

I gave up on finding a good laptop that comes with 8GB of RAM, a i5 CPU and a SSD. I can get the first two together without any problems, but add a SSD to that and it's nowhere to be found. Also, I looked up many recommended SSDs from every brands, and it looks like I'll go with the Crucial BX100, since it's the cheapest of them all, at around $190 on Amazon.com (that also does shipping in Canada, and that item comes with free shipping).

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users