Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Importing Address Books in W8 Outlook.com

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 clayto

clayto

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I have been trying for some time to find how to Import an Address Book / Contacts in the Outlook email program which came with Windows 8.1.  I thought I nearly hand it---  ie. Mail Migration --- it was supposed to be explained in the link I reproduce below.  But the link does not work!  Every Search I use says the webpage does not exist.There must be a way to Import addresses, surely?

Can anyone give advice on this?

clayto

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 23 January 2015 - 06:25 PM.
Moved to Web browsing and e-mail

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

Are you using Outlook 2013, or the default Outlook program that came with Windows 8?

If you are using the mail app that came with Windows, you can't "import" your contacts, because the app is actually a browser interface. Instead, if you are using a web-based mail program like Hotmail, Gmail, you add that email account to the mail app.

If you are trying to import the information from a .pst file, you will need to upload the contacts to Hotmail or Outlook.com via another Outlook client -- not the app, but the Outlook program that comes bundled with Office.

#3 clayto

clayto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 475 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:01 AM

Thanks for the postings. I have resolved my problem. I had a look at Windows Live Mail which I had heard of but for some reason was under the impression it was not much good. The reverse is true, it is the best email program I have seen by far ---- but in particular it has a perfectly clear Import / Export option. My csv Address Book imported into it with ease and furthermore, when I opened Outlook.com the previously empty People pages were populated with my email addresses. So it seems an easy way to import into People is to do it via Windows Live Mail.

clayto

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:04 AM

Glad you got that resolved. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users