Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Do i really need iCloud?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Star_Slight

Star_Slight

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:25 PM

Hello so I'm just debating whether or not I need to set up aniCloud account... I already have an Apple ID but the only Apple devices ihave are an iPod Classic and Shuffle.

Do i gain anything from having iCloud set up?

I already have Google Drive + Dropbox, i don't really need another cloud storage option, i have plenty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:56 PM

iCloud is not all a cloud storage option. It can be used to sync contacts, app data, and notes, among other things. You won't actually be able to use iCloud with any iPod devices, excluding the touch. If you don't own a Mac, iPad or iPhone iCloud is not very helpful.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

Thank you

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:38 PM

iCloud is not all a cloud storage option.

To be clear, it is now. Apple introduced iCloud Drive with the release of the latest Mac OS. While not 100% like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc, it does work much more like them than it used.

It can be used to sync contacts, app data, and notes, among other things. You won't actually be able to use iCloud with any iPod devices, excluding the touch. If you don't own a Mac, iPad or iPhone iCloud is not very helpful.

For someone using JUST an iPod Classic and Shuffle, there is zero benefit to iCloud. Even if you add a single Windows or Mac computer to those two devices (presumably one has to have a computer in the mix to get songs, etc on both an iPod Classic and Shuffle), there is basically very little benefit to iCloud other than essentially "backing up" contacts, calendars, etc to the "cloud" that can then be accessed using a browser on other computers (i.e. say you are visiting a friend and need to look up a contact and did not bring your computer).

#5 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

To be clear, it is now. Apple introduced iCloud Drive with the release of the latest Mac OS. While not 100% like Dropbox, Google Drive, etc, it does work much more like them than it used.

Sorry if my phrasing was weird, I meant to say it does much more than iCloud Drive.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#6 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

For someone using JUST an iPod Classic and Shuffle, there is zero benefit to iCloud. Even if you add a single Windows or Mac computer to those two devices (presumably one has to have a computer in the mix to get songs, etc on both an iPod Classic and Shuffle), there is basically very little benefit to iCloud other than essentially "backing up" contacts, calendars, etc to the "cloud" that can then be accessed using a browser on other computers (i.e. say you are visiting a friend and need to look up a contact and did not bring your computer)

Does it mean, I can access information stored in my iPhone such as contacts, messages, etc, through logging iCould to another device or computer?

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 689 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

What is iCloud?

#8 Star_Slight

Star_Slight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 205 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

iCloud is not all a cloud storage option.

It can be used to sync contacts, app data, and notes, among other things. You won't actually be able to use iCloud with any iPod devices, excluding the touch. If you don't own a Mac, iPad or iPhone iCloud is not very helpful.

For someone using JUST an iPod Classic and Shuffle, there is zero benefit to iCloud. Even if you add a single Windows or Mac computer to those two devices (presumably one has to have a computer in the mix to get songs, etc on both an iPod Classic and Shuffle), there is basically very little benefit to iCloud other than essentially "backing up" contacts, calendars, etc to the "cloud" that can then be accessed using a browser on other computers (i.e. say you are visiting a friend and need to look up a contact and did not bring your computer).

That solves that then, i don't need it. thanks.

#9 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:20 AM

For someone using JUST an iPod Classic and Shuffle, there is zero benefit to iCloud. Even if you add a single Windows or Mac computer to those two devices (presumably one has to have a computer in the mix to get songs, etc on both an iPod Classic and Shuffle), there is basically very little benefit to iCloud other than essentially "backing up" contacts, calendars, etc to the "cloud" that can then be accessed using a browser on other computers (i.e. say you are visiting a friend and need to look up a contact and did not bring your computer)

Does it mean, I can access information stored in my iPhone such as contacts, messages, etc, through logging iCould to another device or computer?

Yes, at least in terms of contacts, calenders, notes, reminders, and email messages (for your iCloud email address that is). You can either log into the iCloud website from another computer/device or have that content actually sync to another device (iOS, Mac, or Windows).

#10 KSkim

KSkim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 19 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

I've been wondering the same thing.. and my iCloud storage is already full and paying extra monthly for it doesn't seem worth it when there are plenty of other services to use.. 

#11 Borderline-the one

Borderline-the one

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 30 April 2015 - 01:53 AM

Need, no.

It is a remote server where you have some basic storage + some other services like syncing.

Sync is the new word, describing services helpful if you use multiple devices, but if you only have one then forget about it.

iCloud helps some, but it can create problems as well, and it is not under your control. There were reports where ppl lost the precious photos due to problems in syncing.

If you need extra storage buy a external disk, at leas then you sure your info wont get lost somehow.

#12 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

The best part of iCloud is how all of our files are at our fingertips no matter what device we are using. 

It is the easiest way to manage your  music, photos, apps, calendars, documents and more.

But at the same time, you got yourself totally exposed to them: name, credit cards, likes, dislikes, emails, passwords, friends, family, trips, birthday lists.

It is not that you don't need iCloud because you only got an iPod right now.

You may will purchase other Apple devices someday.

All you need to consider is what is more important to you.

Edited by Bailifei, 12 May 2015 - 09:55 PM.

#13 BakerMelissa

BakerMelissa

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 02 June 2015 - 10:01 PM

That depends. If you want to backup your information on iCloud, then you may need one.

If you don't need, you can use your Apple ID to all of Apple devices. 

That's more convenient. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users