Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

uninstalling skype 5 or 7

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RosemaryC

RosemaryC

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

I am trying to install an updated version of Skype, but I cannot uninstall my previous version  (5.10). This computer is using Windows 7,  64 bit. I've tried every possible way of getting rid of Skype, including via regedit, step by step.

I persistently get this message when I use CCleaner uninstall :  The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package 'Skype.msi' in the box below.

This box contains the source  - C:\ProgramData\Skype\{EE7257A2-39A2-4D2F-9DAC-F9F25B8AE1D8}\

I cannot find this anywhere on this computer. I have administrator rights, and I use "Treesize Free", but no sign of anything still listed as Skype.

On my CCleaner uninstall it shows up loud and clear.... with its logo. "Skype. 5.10    Skype Technologies SA  09/07/2012   35.8 mbs    5.10.115"

Because this still appears to be lurking on the computer I cannot install any version (old  or new) on the computer.

Can anyone tell me how to purge the accursed old version completely out of this machine???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller?

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi Rosemary :)

This error message that you are receiving is caused by the fact that Windows Installer cannot find the installer (.msi) for Skype. Since it cannot find it, it cannot execute it and pass it the "/uninstall" switch to uninstall Skype. Hence Skype is still fully installed on your system. Alexstrasza suggestion of using Revo Uninstaller is correct. You could use the portable version of it to uninstall Skype. Just make sure to set the scan mode to Advanced and for each leftover step (Registry and Files/Folders), click on the Select all followed by Delete buttons. Let us know if this doesn't work :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:45 PM

should i assume you tried the regular way through programs and features

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

should i assume you tried the regular way through programs and features

With the error message she received, it will not work either via the normal "Programs and Features" panel. She'll get the exact same error message.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users