Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Points

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 oregondutch

oregondutch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:22 PM

I've tried to restore my windows xp to an earlier date several times. Each time results in a message that the computer was not restored. I've tried using dates in bold ... and creating new dates. The message is always the same. I'd sure appreciate some suggestions. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:27 PM

Have you tried it in Safe Mode?

#3 oregondutch

oregondutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Yes. Thanks. But still, no cigar and no allowing me to create a new restore date. I'm trying to restore back about 3 months.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

It's possible that the Restore Points are corrupted and you cannot use them to restore Windows to an earlier date. However, the fact that it doesn't let you create any new Restore Point is something else. Why are you trying to restore your Windows back to 3 months if I may ask? That's a long date for a System Restore?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:44 PM

Do you run avast!? If you do, disable it's self protection in settings and see if the restore finishes.

#6 oregondutch

oregondutch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:07 PM

The 3 months is due to problems that arrived in the space of, basically, overnight, like a virus got in, etc. But the computer was beginning to show problems, slow, double priniting in the Welcome screen in aol, 3 or 4 minute waits to log on and not opeining specific websites--this page unavailable--to simple places like craigslist. 

I will try to uninstall avast and try to restore. 

Thanks for the suggestions. 

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,295 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:10 PM

See if simply uninstalling Avast solves the problem.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,670 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

If you think that you are infected with a malware, doing a System Restore isn't advised and could make the infection even worse than it already is. I suggest you to get assistance from a trained malware removal expert in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section. Simply follow the instructions in the preparation guide before posting your thread.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users