Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway Laptop Screen Won't "De-Magnify"

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DMRental

DMRental

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

Hello,

I'm requesting help understanding and fixing a problem with my laptop.

Does anyone have advice on how to de-magnify the laptop screen? Both the external monitor and the laptop screen are showing up as the same screen. Full description below.

I have a Gateway MS2266 Laptop - it's about 5 or 6 years old. It has Windows Vista. Recently, I was getting a forced shut down into a blue screen that said error, I think it was a USB error. This happened occasionally, maybe once a week. I didn't do anything to fix this as my computer just started right back up, seemingly without any problems. After about 4 weeks of this the computer finally crashed. Upon restarting I would only see a black screen. I then plugged it into an external monitor and the screen on the laptop reappeared but it was magnified; the external screen was the correct resolution and size. I tried to adjsut the screen size on the laptop screen and was unable to alter it. Then I began to fix the problem. After removing and saving my files I re-installed Vista with my recovery discs. I figured that starting over from scratch would fix the screen problem. I know, kind of like fishing with dynamite, a little bit of overkill. Anyhow, it did not fix the problem. My screen was still enlarged on the laptop. I managed to get Vista reloaded, the screen is the correct size and resolution on the external monitor, however, it's still magnified on the laptop. One other note, when I go to the control panel to adjust the screen resolution and ask the computer to highlight which is monitor 1 and which is monitor 2 it highlights both the external screen and the laptop screen as number 1.

Many thanks.

DMrental

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:25 AM

Have you updated the video drivers?

#3 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Maybe the external is set as the primary display in Windows and the laptop screen is set as the secondary and the option to mirror displays is being used? However, I see on my Windows 7 computer that if I have Duplicate switched on and click Identify then I see (1|2) on both screens. I'm not sure if Vista behaves the same.

External to Windows there might be a BIOS option for the external monitor or graphics system. That would explain why reinstalling the operating system didn't help. Seems like the BIOS decided the external monitor is the main display and tries to run the laptop screen at the same resolution as the external monitor to clone the main display. What's the recommended resolution for the external monitor and the recommended resolution for the laptop screen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users