Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MacBook Pro A1297 2010 no display

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Leeboy20

Leeboy20

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

Hi everyone . I'm trying to fix moms MacBook Pro. She said one day she went to turn it on and it didn't boot up. Here are few things I noticed .

1. With the charger in ( glowing green) I push the power button and I can hear/ feel things spinning . The light on the front right facing panel glows white . And every so often fades out and back on .

2. If I push the little round battery indicator on the left side facing panel , all lights flash 5 times simultaneously and then turn off .

3. If I hold the power button down til I hear/ feel it shut down , then hold "shift, control, option and the power button together , I get the green light on the " caps lock " button light up .

4 . If I unplug the charger , hold the power button for 10 seconds , keep,holding the power button and plug the charger back in , release and push power the fans kick in at Mach 1 speed like a jet taking off , run for 20-30 seconds then shut down, then turn on and run then turn off..

All these things happening with no display at all, Is there anything else I can try to troubleshoot? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

Do you get anything if you hook up a external monitor to the MBP?

In addition, here is an Apple document with somethings to try...if you have not see it already:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201177

#3 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

I haven't tried the external monitor ( I have my monitor from my pc desktop ) . Not sure what kind of plugs a Mac would use . PC monitors have all those pins and the two twisty things to hold it in

#4 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

That model of MBP has a Mini-Display port. You will need either Mini-Display Port to VGA or Mini-Display Port to DVI adapter...depends on what kind of connector your monitor has.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB572Z/B/mini-displayport-to-vga-adapter?fnode=53

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=53

A Best Buy store or an Apple Store will have them locally, but there might be other local stores that have them. You can certainly order online through Apple or a site like Amazon. Or might see if you can borrow one from someone you know (although having one around might be useful for your mom if she ever needs to hook up an external monitor).

If you are not sure what kind of connector you have on the monitor, then go to the links and look at the pictures for each adapter. That should help you see the difference between VGA and DVI. The main difference is the VGA is trapezoidal shaped while the DVI is rectangular shaped.

#5 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

I'm gonna take a look this weekend for an adaptor and ask around maybe to borrow one first . I did read if you get 5 flashing lights on the battery indicator , it means the battery needs replacing . Could this have anything to do with no display ?

#6 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:28 PM

How bout a mini do to HDMI and hook it to my tv ?

Something else I wanted to add... The second I pull the charging cord out of the laptop ( even if it was in there for a hour) everything instantly shuts off like there is no battery in there .

#7 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

How bout a mini do to HDMI and hook it to my tv ?

Something else I wanted to add... The second I pull the charging cord out of the laptop ( even if it was in there for a hour) everything instantly shuts off like there is no battery in there .

It should work.

My MBP battery died recently but, it worked fine without the battery when I used it with the adapter only.

#8 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Last night I pulled the battery , tried all the resets Pram, SMC and still nothing but fans . I tried the Ram in different slots , and even tried with no ram . I did get a sounding alarm when I powered up with no ram . Uuuggghhhh , sounding like its history

#9 Leeboy20

Leeboy20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

I did read this , not sure if it's worth trying , I might make matters worse

What seems to have resolved it was this; plugged in the AC power, turned on the computer, closed it, turned it over, then put a folded-up quilt on top of it, and went downstairs and watched Pineapple Express. When I came back to it, I opened it, unplugged it, then turned it off. The power button was extremely hot and the fan was blowing very high. I held it in front of a fan and about a minute later pressed the power button and it booted up like normal.

Link found here https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/9045/MBP+A1226+Logic+Board+last+resort+fix+for+nVidia+video+chip

Edited by Leeboy20, 25 January 2015 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users