Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Software Recommendations Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cbcac

cbcac

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

I am looking for backup software recommendations.  I will be using it for a home PC to back up my internal hard drive to an external hard drive.  I am running windows 7 and I have a lot of photos, videos, and music that I want to back up and then have the option of doing full backup or just backup changed files.  Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

Check out the thread at this forum, particularly quietman7's post #3 for additional information that may help you choose a Backup program.

Suggestions about Backup

I use Macrium Reflect (free version) for full-HDD Imaging and my paid Acronis TI 2011 program for Cloning and unattended scheduled backups.

Macrium's free version doesn't offer Incremental/Differential Imaging but there are other free backup tools that offer those options.  Aomei Backupper is one of the free versions that offer those functions.

#3 Patrick33

Patrick33

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:39 AM

I am using EaseUS Todo Backup, it's free version can offer full backup, incremental, differential backup. For very important data and OS, I schedule to backup regularly like weekly, monthly. 

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:14 AM

For backing up files (not operating systems) I use SynkronPortable when running under Windows, and Synkron when running under Linux. It's actually a file/folder syncronization tool not a backup tool though. It's FREE! I use it to backup several 100GB of data to my backups. And yes, with the right settings it can only backup changed files/folders. My only complaints about it would be:

1. If you enable deleting files from the backup that no longer exist in the source, Synkron has a nasty habbit of saving those "deleted" files to its folder. This can be useful, but it would be nice to be able to turn that off.

2. Once you run the sync the program window becomes unresponsive, it isn't frozen, its just working hard on the task at hand. If you start messing with it though, it will freeze the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users