Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iastor.sys, BSOD but only once daily

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#31 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

Hi Aura,

While I continue to receive help from the BC malaware forum I did some checking on the iastor.sys file on my system.  I know we updated this file with R99738.exe but the BSOD continued.  I found a list of the iastor file in the following directories:

C:\i386    (5.0.1.1001)  (date created 8/24/05)   851kb

C:\Windows\system32\drivers    (5.0.1.1001)  (date created 8/17/05)   851kb

C:\drivers\storage\SATA\onboard    (5.0.1.1001)  (date created 8/17/05)   851kb

C:program files\intel\intel matrix storage manager\driver   (5.0.1.1001)  (date created 1/23/15)   851kb

C:\windows\system32\reinstallbackups\0028\driverfiles   (5.0.1.1001)  (date created 1/23/15)   851kb

I was just wondering why the 3 top directories have older create dates but the same version number?  The date modified tab in search results for all 5 directories say 4/25/05.  I'm still researching possible solutions so sorry if this is a dumb question.  Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:24 PM

Here I go again.  I found a few articles from others suffering the iastor.sys BSOD.  They said that the iastor.sys file is for SATA AHCI controllers and that if you change the bios from RAID to ATA that it solves the problem.  Until I'm done with Mach and his suggestions I won't try this but wondered if you knew what these changes would do and how it would affect our computer?

#33 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:35 AM

Hey Aura... my iastor.sys BSOD problem is solved.  I downloaded Pitiform's Speecy and found I had 2 antivirus programs running.  Avast!... which is my current AV and Bitdefender.... a program I uninstalled in 2013.  Seems Bitdefender was still running in Virus Protection in Windows Security Center.  Not sure why since I used Bitdefenders own uninstall program to remove it.

Anyway... after uninstalling Avast! I have no more iastor.sys BSOD errors.  I have asked in another forum how to permanently remove Bitdfender but for now.... all is good and back to normal.  Many thanks for your help.  It was a long road but hopefully this can help someone else along the way.  BTW- What AV do you recommend that isn't a resouce hog?

MB

#34 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 07 February 2015 - 11:38 AM

I didn't know at all that Bitdefender was still installed as it didn't even showed up in your installed programs list, this is really weird :o And I find Bitdefender to be a bit resource hog, but if you want an Antivirus recommendation, I would need to know if you want a free one or a paid one.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#35 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:16 PM

I found it strange too since it doesn't show up on ccleaner, hijack this, or anyother program I have run.  It's in the registry and I really found by accident using Speecy.  Anyway... right now a free AV is ok unless there is a one-time pay for something good.  I looked at ESET NOD32 but it was annual and more than I can afford right now.

#36 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:23 PM

Before you install any other Antivirus, can you make sure that you'll be able to remove every trace of Bitdefender so it won't conflict with the new one?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#37 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

I have asked for help in BC's Antivirus forum so will let you know what happens.  I found an iobit folder with several files left over from our uninstall so still need to track down how to remove those too.  Nothing shows up in Add/Remove or Revo but don't want to just delete the directory.

#38 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:40 PM

Apparently there's a special tool dedicated to removing IObit products, see this thread on SevenForums here:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/343905-iobit-products-uninstall-completely.html

unite_blue.png

#39 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

I ran this program earlier and it did uninstall a few files and registry entries.  I still have the following 172 files in my iobit directory.

Advanced System Care 3

Advanced System Care 5

Advanced System Care 6

Game Assistant

LiveUpdate

Smart Defrag 2

Surfing Protection

Maybe run it under Safe Mode?

#40 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 12:55 PM

Do you have any files called uninst.exe, uninst.msi, setup.exe, setup.msi, etc. in these folders?

unite_blue.png

#41 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 01:11 PM

No.... none of those or anything similar.

#42 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

If we can find the installer file of Advanced SystemCare, you could install Revo Uninstaller, right-click on it and select "Uninstall with Revo". That would make things easier. But I'm aware of ASC not deleting its folders after a uninstall. If there a lot of files in these folders?

unite_blue.png

#43 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:19 PM

Right now there are 172 files in the obit directory.  Some are dll files but I ran ccleaner had it never found any entry for iobit.  Just wasn't sure it was safe to delete the main directory without leaving a bunch of remnant files outstanding.  There are some application files in there.  I'll take a look and report back.  Man the computer is screaming fast now.  Very appreciative of the help.

#44 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,629 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:28 PM

No problem mud :) We could delete all these files and folders without any worries, what I'm scared of is the Registry, hence why I would like to find a way to uninstall these products completely.

unite_blue.png

#45 mudhutbob

mudhutbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

Ok my friend.... we have a solution.  I was looking over Revo and they offered 50% off.  So... for $19.95 I ordered it..... ran it.... and scored.  Ccleaner, HijackThis and prolly a few others couldn't find iobit-o-cr@p.  But Revo Pro did.  Forced an uninstall (lets you point to the directory) and Revo Pro deleted 86 iobit folders and 294 files for a total of 183 MB.  Bam.  No more iobit folders and it looks like a lot of registry items deleted too.

So... where were we.... oh yes.  Anti virus.  Would you say it is worth it paying $40 per year for an AV or do the free versions suffice?  Just don't want to bog down my 10 year old computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users