Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to start Windows 7, Keyboard input works in BIOS but not grub

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vottiking

vottiking

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

After installing SpyHunter 4, it made some changes to my start-up settings and I could no longer start Windows 7. Instead, it goes to grub (http://i.imgur.com/opPvS80.jpg), but I am not able to give commands (http://i.imgur.com/o1q5UWJ.jpg), as there is no keyboard input. This had always been a problem, but it never caused a problem as idleness led to Windows 7 starting up. Only very rarely was I able to use my keyboard. I pressed a key to read more, and in the end it brought me to a command screen. I gave relevant commands that I found on forums, but nothing worked. 

To solve this, I added the windows 7 ISO to a USB (using YUMI). Then I went to BIOS and I ran YUMI (USB loader), and I got to this screen (http://i.imgur.com/O2Nt6Tk.jpg). As opposed to before, I cannot use my keyboard anymore; not at all, not even rarely. I need the keyboard input to get YUMI to run the Windows 7 ISO.

On various forums it was suggested that there is some setting wrong in the BIOS (keyboard input does work in BIOS!). Indeed, this was the case: (http://i.imgur.com/ACLDELK.jpg). I changed the settings to fully initiazable, hopeful that on my next start-up I could select grub bootable from YUMI. No luck, still no input. I have a USB keyboard and I've tried disabling USB 3.0 and I've connected the keyboard to all USB slots. I've tried changing various other options in the "boot" section of my BIOS.

What to do? I feel like my BIOS is not truly applying the settings, although it does save the settings.

Edited by vottiking, 23 January 2015 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

Instead of Yumi use Rufus and the iso to create a bootable USB.

Select Iso Image in the dropdown box where it shows FreeDos.

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Make sure you are not using a USB 3.0 port for your keyboard. It may not be supported at such a low level.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 TheDcoder

TheDcoder

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:00 AM

UEFI mode or EFI mode?

#5 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:07 AM

Instead of Yumi use Rufus and the iso to create a bootable USB.

Select Iso Image in the dropdown box where it shows FreeDos.

I created a bootable USB with Rufus. I went into BIOS and it booted the USB. For two seconds, I see this screen (http://i.imgur.com/WulSCK3.jpg). After the two seconds, it attempts to boot Windows like normal (but fails, and goes to the grub again: http://i.imgur.com/opPvS80.jpg). During the two seconds, I have tried pressing all keys, but as with YUMI, there is no keyboard input. :(

#6 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

Make sure you are not using a USB 3.0 port for your keyboard. It may not be supported at such a low level.

I have attempted every USB slot in my PC, and I have also alternated between enabling and disabling USB 3.0 in the BIOS.

#7 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:09 AM

UEFI mode or EFI mode?

Windows UEFI mode

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

I am guessing you have tried another USB keyboard, correct?

#9 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:54 AM

I am guessing you have tried another USB keyboard, correct?

Correct, the normal one is corded, the different USB keyboard is wireless. Neither work.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

See if the following works. Download Boot Repair. Use Unetbootin to create a bootable iso.

If it launches then select Recommended Repair. If the keyboard still does not work, I would remove the CMOS battery from the computer if possible and powercycle the computer. Remove any power source and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery, reset the CMOS setting to default and make sure Legacy USB is enabled.

Another option is to bypass the boot loader and go directly to Windows is using a bootable USB with SuperGrub2 but then again that depends on if the  keyboard works. You can use Unetbootin for SuperGrub2 also. You might want to try this first before using BootRepair

If you have UEFI, then I can assume you have a GPT disk. Mixing GPT with the Grub loader that spywarehunter installed caused problems but I am not sure how that affected the keyboard.

#11 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

See if the following works. Download Boot Repair. Use Unetbootin to create a bootable iso.

If it launches then select Recommended Repair. If the keyboard still does not work, I would remove the CMOS battery from the computer if possible and powercycle the computer. Remove any power source and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the CMOS battery, reset the CMOS setting to default and make sure Legacy USB is enabled.

Another option is to bypass the boot loader and go directly to Windows is using a bootable USB with SuperGrub2 but then again that depends on if the  keyboard works. You can use Unetbootin for SuperGrub2 also. You might want to try this first before using BootRepair

If you have UEFI, then I can assume you have a GPT disk. Mixing GPT with the Grub loader that spywarehunter installed caused problems but I am not sure how that affected the keyboard.

I'm going to try these things as soon as I get home, thank you for the tip.

#12 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:52 PM

First thing I did, get boot repair using Unetbootin. I actually had keyboard input and was able to get into Ubuntu!! I let it do the recommended repair, it did some stuff, but unfortunately after a restart the problem wasn't fixed (it went back to this: http://i.imgur.com/opPvS80.jpg).

Next, for SuperGrub 2, things are a bit weird. I have three options in my BIOS (http://i.imgur.com/2XDqiP5.jpg). Normally, it didn't matter if I picked UEFI 2.0 flash disk or just 2.0 flash disk. But this time, it doesn't open up if I pick UEFI 2.0 flash disk but it does with 2.0 flash disk. Then, I get to this screen (http://i.imgur.com/rGG7Q1X.jpg). Unfortunately, I have no keyboard input in this case and it doesn't pick the default option after 10 seconds, it keeps on looping and resetting the 10 second timer. 

I feel like we're almost there. I'm atechnical and I'm scared that I will do something wrong if I open my computer and I don't know what/where a CMOS battery is. Is there another USBloader option? I like Unetbootin, it seems to be the easiest going with keyboard input (even though I didn't get into SuperGrub 2).

Kind regards.

PS: I cannot find any correlations to my lack of keyboard input. I have no clue what it is related to, but for some things it works.

Edited by vottiking, 23 January 2015 - 01:53 PM.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Strange problem. I know of no other boot programs other than the ones I mentioned. But, check out this youtube video on creating a USB that is UEFI capable. I have used this process to create a bootable UEFI CD and it works.  Interesting you were able to get to Ubuntu and the keyboard works. That tells me that is probably isn't caused by the CMOS battery issue.

This is a desktop computer? The CMOS battery is usually a CR2032 in a plastic holder. If you have never done it before then I would not recommend doing it if  you are not comfortable.

Here is an image.

mirushaki_1.jpg

#14 vottiking

vottiking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

Strange problem. I know of no other boot programs other than the ones I mentioned. But, check out this youtube video on creating a USB that is UEFI capable. I have used this process to create a bootable UEFI CD and it works.  Interesting you were able to get to Ubuntu and the keyboard works. That tells me that is probably isn't caused by the CMOS battery issue.

This is a desktop computer? The CMOS battery is usually a CR2032 in a plastic holder. If you have never done it before then I would not recommend doing it if  you are not comfortable.

Here is an image.

mirushaki_1.jpg

Yes it is a desktop computer. I will try making a bootable UEFI USB with SuperGrub. I will look at the CMOS battery as a last resort, or I will ask a more technical friend to look at it.

In the Ubuntus Boot Repair, it said that if the repair didn't work, I should report a particular pastebin file to a technical company. I wrote down the URL and this is it:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/9838307/

I don't understand it, but maybe you do. Thank you for your help.

Edited by vottiking, 23 January 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,449 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:09 PM

That log is for help on the Ubuntu forums and anybody else. It looks like there was not errors in the boot managers so I am not sure what the problem is. Do you have the option to do a complete reinstall of the the OS? Do you need data off the drive? What is the make and model of the computer? I think the Boot Repair failed because it cannot repair a GPT disk.

If you can get the USB to boot Windows, you can rebuild the BCD with the bootrec command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users