Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux on HP s3300f

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

Hi all,

I made a bootable USB stick containing Linux Mint for the sole purpose of learning Linux.  It works great on 3 different computers, however; it will not boot on a cheap HP s3300f computer.  Unfortunately, that computer is located in a room where I can spend my time in a peaceful environment ATTEMPTING to learn.  :lol:

I thought I read somewhere that Linux does not like certain AMD chipsets.  Could that be the problem?  Are there any versions of Linux that may play nice with that computer?

I am a total NOOB at Linux, so any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

Edit:

I should have been more specific.  The USB stick does boot Linux, but, it crashes after the splash screen appears.  The computer screen gets scrambled and unreadable.  Sort of like the video drivers are messed up/incompatible.

Edited by MalwareMutilator, 23 January 2015 - 08:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wodim

Wodim

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

You may want to boot the system, and at the login if you get the chance try to do a "Console Login". If you can do this, you will essentially be setting aside the KDM service (the graphical user interface). Once in the console you will be able to check out further information and components using command line tools. I can't help much more with graphics troubleshooting though, I have little experience with it in specific.

My overall tip for Linux learners is to build a Arch system. There is an ArchWiki guide on the installation process, but once you complete it you should have a fair knowledge of mounting and formatting partitions, setting up user accounts, installing the base system and applications, and eventually installing a GUI of your choice. Of course this would require a hard drive for the installation process and would cut out the "live" aspect of things.

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

he can do it with a virtual machine.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

My overall tip for Linux learners is to build a Arch system.

That's good advice to novice users.

Dear novice user you cant figure out why your PC wont boot Linux so my suggestion is go out and build an Arch system. And DO NOT use a GUI use terminal. Really?

I thought I read somewhere that Linux does not like certain AMD chipsets.  Could that be the problem?

Yes.

Can you please give us your PC specs

Ram

MB

GPU

What Operating system is on the PC now.

What Linux Mint are you using eg 32 or 64 bit and the Version Eg Petra Quina.

Edited by NickAu, 23 January 2015 - 05:04 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

This looks like the PC in question. 

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3300f/specs/

Has the same dreaded chipset that's in my Dell Optiplex 740, yes it's SATA-2, but doesn't support SSD's, and even with a HDD, slower than on most SATA-2 equipped systems. nVIDIA stopped supporting this chipset in 2010. 

However, I don't see that stopping one from running Linux on the computer. Mine of similar specs is running Linux Mint 17.1 bit great. 

I made a bootable USB stick containing Linux Mint for the sole purpose of learning Linux. 

You may want to try installing from DVD, that may work better. I don't believe this is an AMD issue, but rather, a nVIDIA one, it would be better if there was a full AMD motherboard installed. 

Also, unless you have a recent dedicated graphics card installed, don't bother with the Cinnamon version, it'll be a waste of time. MATE should run really good on that PC, as long as there's no hardware issues. The needed drivers to boot Linux Mint in Live Mode & browse are in the install media. Note that I've never tried using the onboard nVIDIA graphics, installed a low profile card I had on hand, a Dell OEM AMD Radeon 7570, 1GB GDDR5, so I can't say for sure how Mint will perform on the inbuilt chip. However, it's not that old, if it can run Vista, of which the majority of these ran, Mint 17.1 should also, provided there are no hardware issues to address. 

Be sure to check your cable to the monitor also, or swap with a known good one. 

Here's a chart of the MB's specs, it's the 6th one listed from the left. 

http://www.nvidia.com/object/mobo_gpu_tech_specs.html

Hope this of some help of getting the Topic going. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 25 January 2015 - 03:39 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

Also, unless you have a recent dedicated graphics card installed

If this is the computer, it has integrated graphics, and I believe that will likely be the problem.

Graphics Controller

Type
integrated
Graphics Processor
NVIDIA GeForce 6150 SE shared video memory (UMA)

http://www.cnet.com/products/hp-pavilion-slimline-s3300f/specs/

"Shared video memory," so no dedicated memory chip for the graphics either ....just like my laptop.

MATE would certainly be the most suitable Mint desktop for this computer. If you find MATE 17.1 and/or 17 don't boot, or don't run smoothly - for example if scrolling a page in an internet browser isn't fast and smooth - then I would use Mint 13 MATE which I am certain will work just fine.

You would probably have similar problems with the *buntu distros, and I would go for the 12.04 versions if you, or anyone else reading this who has the same problem, decide to go down that road. Also I would expect that Kubuntu, Xubuntu and Lubuntu would be more likely to work, than the Unity desktop on Ubuntu.

#7 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:32 AM

Yeah, forget the Unity desktop on that onboard graphic chipset. 

I'd remove my the dedicated GPU on mine & test it out, but it's a lot of trouble removing/re-installing the graphics card just to test this out. There may be a setting in the BIOS to give the graphics more RAM than the default, or so it was on my PC with same chipset. HP tends to lock it's consumers out a lot more than other vendors, but it's worth giving a shot to see if the setting is in there. 

No response yet as to whether or not a dedicated graphics card is installed, which would greatly improve the visual experience & overall use of the PC. With that low powered GPU I mentioned above, am not only able to run Linux Mint 17.1 64 bit, but also VirtualBox VM's, had Windows 10 Preview installed at one time. 

nVIDIA still supports the onboard graphics on the board, just not the chipset. I agree with Al1000 that if 17.1 MATE doesn't work, try Linux MInt 13 MATE 64 bit. If it won't support that, I have no idea of what to suggest, other than it may be a hardware issue. 

FatDog64 is great for testing 64 bit hardware & is a small CD sized ISO, boot from it & see how the graphics are, very lightweight OS. 

http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/web/

EDIT: The OP may wish to boot the install media in Compatibility Mode. To get there, during the countdown to boot, hit the Tab button on the keyboard & select that mode with it's presented, and click Enter. May even be the monitor, try swapping for a known working one. That chipset has been reported to work well with Linux as of 6 months ago. 

http://forums.techguy.org/linux-unix/1127461-linux-nvidia-geforce-6150se-nforce.html

Also works on Ubuntu 14.04 after updating via Terminal, Linux Mint 17.1 is based on Ubuntu 14.04. 

http://www.howopensource.com/2012/10/install-nvidia-geforce-driver-in-ubuntu-12-10-12-04-using-ppa/

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 26 January 2015 - 03:47 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#8 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all your help so far.  Below is the Speccy link for the computer in question.  Please note that the computer seems to run perfectly with Vista, so I don’t believe there is a hardware issue.  I could be wrong. :thumbup2:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/XlXFyKVi86zdsyXBg83modR

I will hopefully get a copy of Linux Mint 13 MATE 64 and give it a try.  I don’t know if I can find a USB bootable copy of it, but I will search around.

Thanks again,

George

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

I don’t know if I can find a USB bootable copy of it

Create your own, Download the distro of choice.

Then use unetbootin to create a bootable ISO

http://youtu.be/V8HgWh_eDS4

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

Looking at the specs, I don't see why it won't run Linux MInt 17.1, if you still have the downloaded ISO, you may wish to start over with the media creation (more below). Or if you have any DVD's, burn the ISO at a slow rate to one & boot from that. 

That CPU is better than mine & will likely upgrade mine to that one, or whatever performance AM2 CPU that's compatible. 

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Dual-Core-Processor-64-Watt-ADO5000DSWOF/dp/B000VTQ0Z4

This is one I'm considering, and likely all that my PSU will handle with my graphic card installed, has more L2 cache. May have to remove the graphic card and go with the onboard with this. 

http://www.amazon.com/AMD-Athlon-ADO5600IAA5DO-SOCKET-Processor/dp/B009Z3WPK6/ref=pd_cp_e_1/188-8820310-5493855

At any rate, I feel that you should try the install again, if you have a 2GiB or larger Flash drive (or SDHC card & USB card reader), the instructions that NIck provided will work. The good thing about creating a Flash drive installer is that bad burns to optical media are out of the picture, it's how I install most of my OS's. 

As heavy as Vista is, and it's running OK, Mint should sail easily on the same hardware, with lowered CPU & RAM usage, and temps should drop as a result. Even if you have to go with Mint 13, it's supported until April 2017. 

Glad that you responded & hope that the next install attempt works out better. Should you have further questions, always feel free to ask, no matter how large or small the issue. 

Good Luck! :)

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users