Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 7 Freezes at Welcome Screen

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dean1390

Dean1390

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

Greetings Bleeping Computer!  I wish my first post was on better terms but unfortunately my computer has decided to become a bleeping computer - so I've come for some help!  Here's my issue and what Iv'e done so far:

Issue:  Win 7 freezes during boot up at the "welcome" screen.  Just freezes.....  the blule circle stops spinning and there is no HD light activity.  Booting in Safe Mode yields the exact same results (although it seems to freeze quicker)

Steps taken:  Accesses system repair and done:

- Start Up repair:  Finds no issues

- System restore:  Freezes regardless of restore point selected.  Several attempts made.  95% of the time it locks up during "finishing system restore" but once or twice under "initializing" .  Never anywhere else but never actually finishes.

- Use command prompt to CHKDSK - Fails at 10% 13726 - mouse locks up, no HD light activity. 

edit*  CHKDSK fails at the same point at stage 4 of 5, using /r function

It's looking like HD failure.  I have some back up but it's way outdated (I know..... shame on me).  Ideally I can get it to boot up but is there any way to access/move data via command prompt in the event of HD failure (which it looks likeis occurring).

I have not used  command prompt to mess with/try to repair any of the boot disk.

Any help or guidance is appreciated!  Thanks for looking!

Edited by Dean1390, 23 January 2015 - 08:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:38 AM

Hello there,

Have you looked at: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219533-troubleshooting-windows-7-failure-boot.html

Hope this helps! 

#3 Dean1390

Dean1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:06 AM

Not yet but I will now!  Thanks for the link.  I hope I can get the data copied over to an external HD and then will go through the other recovery options listed.

I'll report back later today......

#4 Dean1390

Dean1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

OK - So some success!  I was able to access the data files to copy them over.  A question before I resume more aggressive restore methods:

Can I right click and copy the C: drive  in it's entirety over to the external hard drive or do I have to select the individual file folders after clicking on the C: drive?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

To copy a partition or a drive...it's probably best to use cloning software.  There are many of these...Macrium Reflect is the one I choose.

I doubt if copy/paste would work because Windows will not allow certain system files to be copied using the conventional method.  Any data file can be copied using the conventional copy method, but, again, cloning software will probably do it faster and more accurately, IMO.

Louis

#6 Dean1390

Dean1390
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:17 AM

FIXED!  Was able to restire 90% of my data - only thing I couldn't recover was email.  Everything else is great.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2015 - 02:22 PM

:thumbup2:

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users