Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spontaneous Program Minimize With No Pattern

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LTDEW

LTDEW

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:10 AM

I am a new registrant. I send my greetings to everyone here. I sincerely hope someone will be able to help me.

About 10 days ago my system began to minimize and open the start menu (as if the Start Button had been pressed) randomly. My son and I have been able to discern no pattern to this behavior. However, because we are dedicated gamers we have only seen it happen with games. My daughters have reported no problems with the Office tools they use. After the minimize we can close the start menu, restore the game and continue to play...until the next minimize requires the same procedure. The games don't crash, they just minimize. I know that doesn't sound like much of a problem but it gets very annoying.

Technical system information now. We are running a N2U400A Rev 1.0 motherboard with an AMD XP 2800+ processor, 1 gig of PC3200 ram, BFG 6600GT OC video card, Maxtor 300 GB ATA 133 HD, Sony 140 CD Burner, Emprex CD/DVD Burner, MS Intellipoint Wireless Optical Wheel Mouse and MS Ergonomic (wired) Keyboard. I also have the receiver for a second wireless (Logitech) mouse and keyboard plugged into a USB port but the componets are in the closet (my daughters use them to play some game when they visit).

My OS is Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates. I use McAfee's Internet Security Suite for system protection with all features enabled and automatically updated. I did a complete format and reinstall of everything about 4 months ago. I have not upgraded the drivers for the motherboard yet. I used the original driver disk for the reformat/reinstall.

My son received a lot of games for his birthday and they are the only new software I have added since the rebuild. All are legit retail patched to the most recent version. These are Star Wars Empire at War, Rise of Nations Rise of Legends, LOTR Battle for Middle Earth II and Galactic Civilizations II. I have personally only seen the problem with LOTR and Star Wars EAW but then that is what I have been playing most. However, GC II does not seem to manifest this problem. Maybe I haven't been playing it enough.

I think I have covered everything per the forum instructions. If not just let me know and I will post any additional information that may help. I have spent 2 days searching on Goggle and reading forums at various sites without even seeing a mention of this problem.

I wonder if the second wireless receiver (Logitech KB and mouse) might be involved? I hadn't even remembered it until I started the technical information. We use to have trouble with out Dish remote because it would it could read output from nearby remotes until I changed from the remote address.

At any rate, any help or suggestions would be appreciate. And, thanks for sticking with this rather lengthy post.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:16 PM

Please explain what you mean by your "system began to minimize". Do you mean that your game application minimizes unexpectedly ?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:23 PM

Try taking the battery out of the second mouse and changing the battery in the one you are using.

If that doesn't work try a wired PS2 mouse instead of the wireless one you are using.

#4 LTDEW

LTDEW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:40 PM

What I meant by the "system minimizes" was that the game or application minimizes leaving the Desktop with the start menu displayed.

I think I will try a PS2 wired mouse for openers after taking the batteries out of the wireless KB and mouse from Logitech. Or, should I remove the USB receivers all together?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:41 PM

Try the PS2 mouse.
If it's just a matter of pulling the USB recievers out try it.

#6 LTDEW

LTDEW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:12 PM

Pulling the USB receivers fixes the problem but if I reconnect them it starts again. Well, at least I fixed the problem. Using the wireless stuff again is a problem for another day. Thanks for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users