Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 install downgrade from windows 8, Blue screen on start up

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OnceKnown

OnceKnown

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:32 AM

Hi guys!

So I bought a laptop a year ago and it came with the windows 8 OS. However, after some time the windows 8 OS was really getting on my nerves and I wanted to downgrade to windows 7 OS.

The problem is that I was able to successfully install windows 7 ultimate to my laptop and after giving it a name and a username, the laptop would reboot like normal. Upon reaching the windows logo screen with the four colors the blue screen of death comes on with this error code:

STOP: 0x000000A5 (0x000000000001000A, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000)

(keep in mind that the code trails off the screen where I can barely count the zeros, so I don't know if this is correct or not)

The laptop I bought is an ASUS X550LB-NH52

Intel Core i5 4200U (1.60GHz)

8GB Memory

750 GB HDD

Windows 8 64-bit

I have tried looking around numerous places but could not find an answer. 

1)There was a reference to the bios might being outdated or not compatible, so I tried updating the bios by flashing it, but ASUS bios for the laptop didn't help at all.

2) I tried reinstalling windows again but arrived at the same problem again.

3) I have set the secure boot to disabled, and enabled "Launch CSM", and "Launch PXE OpROM policy" 

4) I don't believe my ram sticks are unseated as the laptop was working just fine before my OS downgrade, nor have I dropped it in the process.

I've read in a few places that people have successfully downgraded this laptop to windows 7, but I'm having the hardest time figuring out how. 

I really need help! Thanks in advance.

Edited by OnceKnown, 23 January 2015 - 04:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheSteeZ

TheSteeZ

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hello,

Have you tried running any hardware diagnostics tests via your bios startup or download one and run via usb? I know its ironic how you just replaced software and its not working but i would double check on your hardware. Now you said you re-installed windows? Which version? back to 8 or reloaded windows 7 ultimate? I would try installing another version. You can download any version iso online and use the same CD key. This should at least get you pointed in the right directly please let me know the results of the tests.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

Do you still get a BSOD in safe mode?

#4 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

@TheSteez

Thank you for your reply.

I haven't tried any hardware diagnostics test yet, nor do I know how. I'll look up on it tonight when I get home. To answer your questions, the original OS that came with the laptop was windows 8 OS, which came on first boot up. I wanted to downgrade to windows 7 ultimate OS, I have also tried installing windows 7 professional and came to the same result. I'm starting to believe this laptop is not meant for windows 7, but I really detest windows 8 OS.

@JohnC_21

Yes. I have also tried booting in safe mood and it BSOD there also. Tried numerous routes but to no avail....

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:05 PM

Was Legacy CSM enabled when you installed Windows 7 or UEFI/EFI?

#6 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

Yes, I did enable "Launch CSM" before installing windows 7 and also enabled "Launch PXE OpROM policy"

I disabled secure boot too.

I didn't find any options for UEFI/EFI in my bios or I just really missed it, but I'm positive I didn't see any options relevant to that in my bios.

UPDATE: I recently just called ASUS support about the situation and they told me that it could be the bios, driver, or motherboard that is creating the conflict with the compability to windows 7 OS. They also did not recommend to downgrade to windows 7 as there are no support drivers for this certain laptop to support the windows 7 OS.

I do still want to try to solve this problem before I RMA it. :unsure:  Unfortunately, I was stupid not to create a system recovery partition before I started the windows 7 OS installation.

Edited by OnceKnown, 23 January 2015 - 12:44 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:41 PM

Did you have windows 8 or Windows 8.1 on the computer?

Edit: Do you want to try reinstalling Windows 8 or 8.1?

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2015 - 12:53 PM.

#8 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:00 PM

I had windows 8.1 OS on the computer before downgrading.

I really don't want to go back to windows 8 if there's an alternate solution to get windows 7 working.

If there's no other possible solution, then my only choice is to revert back to windows 8. I'll have to send it back to the ASUS manafacturing place so they can reformat my HD and install windows 8 back on it again since I deleted all my partitions before installing windows 7.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

Well it is possible to get back to Windows 8. Windows 8 put the install key in BIOS on OEM computers. Maybe this is the problem. You can retrieve the key using a live linux disk and then go here to download Windows 8 on another comptuer using the option to download to media.  I don't  know if this is something  you would want to do or not. I can't guaranteed it will work but it should.

If you do decide to try it, I would recommend using FatDog64. You can burn the iso in Windows 7 by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. That would be a smaller download than Ubuntu.

#10 TheSteeZ

TheSteeZ

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:21 PM

So i am assuming you don't have a recovery disc? Like i stated before you could burn an iso with 8.1 and it will install, there is no need to send the PC back if we go down that route. Companies just "pre-load" O/S that doesn't mean computers are specifically made for operating systems. That computer can run Windows 7 trust me. Its not like your trying to install an archaic windows software or something. Windows 7 is the most used windows o/s. Hell, XP has more users than windows 8 and its not even supported by microsoft!

This is a link of window 7 iso's: http://www.techverse.net/download-windows-7-iso-x86-x64-microsofts-official-servers/

They also have windows 8 iso's you can search for.

Honestly i would do a fresh install from an iso and see how it works rather than the downgrade option from windows.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

I am not sure my suggestion will work as you need a running OS in order to do the install according to Microsoft.

Edit: Check this link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/187525/how-to-perform-a-clean-install-of-windows-8.1-with-a-windows-8-key

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 January 2015 - 01:29 PM.

#12 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:17 AM

@TheSteeZ

What you said made sense with the hardware and the OS's. Looking through the comments in the link you provided me the windows 7 ultimate for x64 says it comes with a trojan? Is it because these are customized ISOs? The downgrade wasn't from windows it self but from my own windows cd. And yes I don't have a recovery disk. 

@JohnC_21 

I looked at the link and it was useful, however, I don't have a window 8 key =/ or not that i know. I bought the laptop with windows 8 already pre-installed on it. I don't remember encountering a windows 8 key during the first initial set up.

I'll be bringing my laptop to my cousin's tomorrow since he knows a good bit about computers. I'll update you two by tomorrow night hopefully.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,981 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

See my post #9. You should be able to retrieve the key in BIOS using a linux live Disk.

http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-retrieve-your-windows-8-oem-key-with-linux.28560/

#14 OnceKnown

OnceKnown
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:09 AM

Hi guys,

Sorry for super late reply. My cousin deducted that my windows 7 CD was the culprit at hand. Excluding the website given above by TheSteez, is there a place where I can download an authentic copy of windows 7 ultimate? 

Thanks for the patience and help so far.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,998 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:36 AM

EDIT: Please visit Post #17 for details. 

Link for Windows 7 general downloads has been removed, as these are no longer valid. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 18 March 2015 - 12:43 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users