Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Files associations not working (8.1)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hypermansp

Hypermansp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

So I've been trying to make Sumatra Reader my default pdf reader but whenever I click on a pdf it doesn't allow me to select a default program. The checkbox doesn't even come up. When I right click the options window shows Open With at the very top as if that was the only option. It also does this with .torrent files and I really don't want to know what else it's doing it for.

I've tried going to the Windows 8 PC Settings and setting the default app and going to the control panel default programs settings and setting the Sumatra to default there but in both cases it just doesn't do anything when I select it. It's really annoying and I want to fix it.

I already tried going to my registry and messing with those by following guides I found on google and it's still the same. I think my ccleaner's registry cleaner or my iobit scanner messed with the file associations and now they're being unresponsive. Need some help fixing it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

Hi Hyperman :)

You could try to reset the default file associations using Windows Repair AIO, then seeing if it unlocks the rest. Also, you should never, ever use Registry Cleaners. These programs are dangerous to use since they can break your Registry, making your Windows unbootable, plus they won't boost your system performance at all. In fact, there's no statistics or studies that shows that Registry Cleaners are good for your system, nor that it help increase it's performance.

zImGw67.pngWindows Repair All-In-One
NOTE: Before following to step below, please disable your Antivirus software or any other real-time security software that you have enabled.
  • Download the portable version of [url=http://www.tweaking.com/files/setups/tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio.zip]Windows Repair All-In-One[/color];
  • Move the file (archive) on your Desktop, and extract it there;
  • Go in the tweaking.com_windows_repair_aio folder, then Tweaking.com - Windows Repair folder, right-click on Repair_Windows.exe and select Run as Administrator;
  • From there, click on the Next button until you are presented with an Open Repairs button and click on it;
  • Let the Registry back up complete, and move on to the check-list window;
  • Click on the Unselect All button at the bottom, then check the following items:
    • Repair File Associations - Make sure that every item under it is checked
  • Once done, click on the Start Repairs button and let the scan execute;
  • If you are being prompted with a Security Warning, allow it to go through;
  • Once the repair is complete, it'll ask you to restart your computer, please do it;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users