Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Copies Of Win Xp Installed

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 donevergreen

donevergreen

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

This is a different computer from my other post.
My hard drive has C:, D:, and E: partitions.
Some time back, I reinstalled Win XP Pro, and now have it in both the C: and D: partitions. I have dual boot with Linux, and the boot window shows two lines for Win XP.

I'd like to remove one of these installs, but nothing I've tried is able to do this. I'd prefer not to reinstall the whole computer, since it runs fine.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

You need to edit the file boot.ini. Locate the file and change its settings with the following command: attrib -s -h -r boot.ini
It will now be editable in any text editor. Inside the file you will see 2 entries for booting the two installations of XP. Determine which one is to be ignored and simply delete the line of text corresponding to it. The next time you boot you will not be presented with the second installation to boot from.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

Do both Windows installations boot and work properly?

#4 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:21 PM

I don't know about the copy on C: I only run the one on D: I know which one it is because the d:\ files have been updated.

The situation is not causing problems, it's just taking up a lot of disk space.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:38 PM

When starting up does a text screen with a menu show up asking you from which XP installation you want to boot ?

#6 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

Yes, I see two lines displaying Windows XP Professional.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 06:00 PM

The two lines represent the two installations. By selecting each one in turn you will go to the 'good' installation and the one you want to get rid of. Figure out which one should go and then delete the corresponding line in boot.ini.

#8 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:59 PM

This hasn't been mentioned, but you may want to back-up your boot.ini before messing with it, unless you know what you're doing.

Posted Image

#9 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:03 AM

Thanks, .Prodigy. The boot.ini entry isn't really a problem, since the first line points to the install that I run. I'd really like to remove the other installation to free up disk space, but Microsoft utilities get into "access denied" when I try to delete Windows. Whose computer is it, anyway. I could possibly just delete the C: partition, mor maybe would get another "access denied". However, I have a lot of software on c:\programs.

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

OK, I have a better picture of what your setup is. Let's say your "good" installation is on volume (partition) D: and the one you want to delete in on C:. Since you are running into access problems deleting on C: you may take ownership of the Windows folder this way:

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Once you have ownership you should be able to delete it.

Be careful not to delete 3 files at the root of C: NTDETECT.COM, BOOT.INI and NTLDR
These are necessary to boot off of partition D:

#11 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:00 AM

:thumbsup: Outstanding! I reviewed the topic you presented -- that's exactly what I needed to know!

Now, an advice-type question. Since Windows normally resides on c: -- would there be any advantage to keeping that copy? I'd hove to open it, and run all the accumulated updates: I'm not sure if SP2 has been added to that copy.

The easiest thing would be to remove the C:\ directories, and continue to run from D:

What do you think?

#12 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:03 PM

XP won't care, but it would make it easier to keep things organized. Also, those 3 critcal boot files are on already C:, so you would be less likey to accidentally delete them. Personnaly, I'm very used to having everthing associated with the OS on C: and all saved data files on the other volumes/partitions/drives (I never put any savable files anywhere on C: because I know I will blow it away on the next OS reinstall.)

#13 dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950

• Members
  • 148 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:28 PM

Please be advised to check and be shure that the copy on D:\ is not your recovery partition. Before you go deleteing things.

#14 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:50 AM

How do I recognize the recovery file?

#15 donevergreen

donevergreen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:04 AM

:thumbsup: OK. I took control of C:\windows and deleted it. Holding my breath, I rebooted, and everything ran. Cleared the recycle bin. Thanks to everybody who contributed advice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users