Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Want to work out why this happened, involves recentplaces.lnk

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

A few hours ago i was about to log off my machine and i just checked the list within CCleaner of startup items, as i often do. An extra entry had appeared it put a new line into the "windows" tab of the lists at the bottom, this entry read "Startup User" in the "key" column, "RecentPlaces.lnk" in the "program" column and the columns "publisher" and "file" were both blank.

What happened here?

I didn't do anyhting to it and restarted the pc, when it booted up and I logged in a file browser window popped up of shortcut files to some files which I had been looking at a few hours before I restarted. I have since used CCleaner to set this startup task to "disabled" as I had no reason to want it running and it added a second or so to the time taken to log on.

Any reason that this would activate itself, I didn't change anything but suddenly this thing had appeared as a startup item. What could be the possible reasons for windows adding this as a startup item?

The startup entry is still there but I've disabled it for now, I want to work out why it suddenly appeared.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 22 January 2015 - 08:43 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Could it be a program you installed or Maybe a Microsoft update?

We use to get a shortcut to 'recent' appearing on our Windows 7 Desktop with an unknown cause. The computer was Malware free as far as we could tell. It disappeared when we refreshed the Desktop with F5.

Similarly we sometimes get a Network icon appearing on our Windows 8 Desktop, Sometimes I delete it. Sometime it disappears of its own volition. (I think)

ON checking Startup in CCleaner there appears quite a few entries that just appear.

For example:

No    Task    Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-1387019770-1652635137-2370210804-1001        
Yes    Task    Optimize Start Menu Cache Files-S-1-5-21-1387019770-1652635137-2370210804-1007

You can see I disabled it once but it reappeared with a slightly different number.

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:38 PM

Strange, i have two entries called "Optimize Start Menu Cache Files" as well, one which is enabled and one which was disabled(i think the disabled one was always disabled though, i never remember disabling it myself).

I hadn't installed any updates recently at the time this had happened, and i hadn't installed any new programs at the time it happened.

Edited for privacy by Moderators at member's request.

Edited by quietman7, 07 February 2015 - 04:33 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Strange, i have two entries called "Optimize Start Menu Cache Files" as well, one which is enabled and one which was disabled(i think the disabled one was always disabled though, i never remember disabling it myself).

In that case maybe I did not disable it. Maybe Microsoft update did. :)

(It just seems like the kinda thing  I would do - Disabling a Startup entry that just appeared that is)

Your idea that you may have dragged a shortcut in to the Startup folder may also have merit.

Edited by HairCut, 24 January 2015 - 05:49 PM.

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

I just did a "test" i deliberately dragged the "icon" for recent places into the "icon" for the startup folder. Sure enough it caused the same result of that entry being added under CCleaner's list so that is certainly a possible cause, though it doesn't prove that the cause was not from some other means even if this action can give the same end result.

Edited by rp88, 24 January 2015 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users