Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

think my hardrive is failing, need help?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 frese17

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:09:00 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:29 PM

Had trouble the other day, and ran into this screen. I ran malware bytes and cleaned up some. But not sure what this is telling me>?

I have a Samsung, with Window 7 Home Ed. 

Edited by frese17, 22 January 2015 - 08:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

Such blue screen error is often related to a bad HDD sector, a virus or RAM error.  (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms854944.aspx )
Since you already checked for viruses the most probable cause is your hard drive, and since it contains possibly important data - you should make a backup of your files straight away. Does your PC start normally? If it does, you can than check your HDD SMART status via a diagnostic tool, preferably from your manufacturer. If your drive is Western Digital this utility would be WD Data Lifeguard. 
If your HDD doesn't pass the tests you can either try to repair the bad sectors via CHKDSK /r  (Link: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx
and hope this fixes the problem 
do a low-level format (a.k.a write zeros). You will lose all the data on the drive, but this is most likely to bring the drive back to life. 
If however you do that and bad sectors build up again - than you should replace the HDD. If you don't want to take any chances you should start preparing yourself straight away. 
Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users