Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-Fi is connected, but unable to access internet on any browser. Proxy issue?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mike30

mike30

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Hi!  I'm coming here with a little confusion as to what has happened to my laptop.  It continues to have connection to my wi-fi, but when I open Google Chrome or IE, no webpages will load.  For example, Chrome will simply display "Unable To Access The Network".  I know that my wi-fi/router is working fine because my other devices (such as the one I'm submitting this on) is connected to the internet and works fine.  I ran a Malwarebytes scan on it but it came back with nothing found (however, the latest update was from 90 days ago, and it cannot retrieve updates now).

I read some things regarding similar issues and some seem to stem for a forced change in proxy settings.  This is simply a guess, however, and I wouldn't know how to change/fix it anyway.  Something of note that may or may not be related - about a month ago, my Dropbox stopped syncing and when you hover the mouse over the icon in the tray, it perpetually says "connecting", but it never actually does.  That was the only issue I was having and couldn't figure out how to fix it.  Now my internet browsers are having their problems, and I'm not sure if it's all caused by the same thing.  I can't think of any installations I've done in the last month that would have changed anything.

If you could get back to me when you get a chance, that would be great!  Thank you so much!

Specs:

Win 7 64

Norton Security Suite

SuperAntispyware (Free)

Malwarebytes (Free)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:42 PM

What error does Chrome show? It should be something like ERR_NO_INTERNET or ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED.

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#3 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hi!  I'm coming here with a little confusion as to what has happened to my laptop.  It continues to have connection to my wi-fi, but when I open Google Chrome or IE, no webpages will load.  For example, Chrome will simply display "Unable To Access The Network".  I know that my wi-fi/router is working fine because my other devices (such as the one I'm submitting this on) is connected to the internet and works fine.  I ran a Malwarebytes scan on it but it came back with nothing found (however, the latest update was from 90 days ago, and it cannot retrieve updates now).

I read some things regarding similar issues and some seem to stem for a forced change in proxy settings.  This is simply a guess, however, and I wouldn't know how to change/fix it anyway.  Something of note that may or may not be related - about a month ago, my Dropbox stopped syncing and when you hover the mouse over the icon in the tray, it perpetually says "connecting", but it never actually does.  That was the only issue I was having and couldn't figure out how to fix it.  Now my internet browsers are having their problems, and I'm not sure if it's all caused by the same thing.  I can't think of any installations I've done in the last month that would have changed anything.

If you could get back to me when you get a chance, that would be great!  Thank you so much!

Specs:
Win 7 64
Norton Security Suite
SuperAntispyware (Free)
Malwarebytes (Free)

#4 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:50 PM

Hi. Try to reset browser to all default. Then clean all from the very beginning. If it doesn't help then it us probably Norton as it blocks port 80 for some reason. In this case you need to go to Norton settings and open port 80

#5 mike30

mike30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:56 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies.  The error code is ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED.

Not sure what exactly you mean by reset to default and clean all from the very beginning.  Could you clarify a bit more?  Also, I've had Chrome working in tandem with Norton for years on that laptop and never had any issues...is it normal for that port to randomly get blocked?

#6 iangcarroll

iangcarroll

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 641 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

That error code is likely caused by an antivirus product. Let's try to disable Norton and see if the issue resolves itself. (Right click on the icon in the taskbar and click disable)

Ian Carroll https://ian.sh • Certly Inc

Member of the Bleeping Computer A.I.I. early response team!

#7 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies.  The error code is ERR_NETWORK_ACCESS_DENIED.

Not sure what exactly you mean by reset to default and clean all from the very beginning.  Could you clarify a bit more?  Also, I've had Chrome working in tandem with Norton for years on that laptop and never had any issues...is it normal for that port to randomly get blocked?

I mean reset chrome to all defaults. Then go to clear browser (cookies, history etc) and choose option from the beginning. After that open Norton and open port 80 cos I read somewhere else that Norton for some reason closes port 80. Have a go. Perhaps uninstall chrome and reinstall.

#8 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

It can also be collision on network from your other devices. Try to find out addresses of all devices you use on the same network. Connect laptop directly to your router and try to use internet. If you can then with direct connection then it is collision probably. Try to reset router remember to take down your router parameters. After that your router should assign ip address to each device automatically. Also you can try to use Windows tools you know when Windows itself tries to troubleshoot and resolve the issue.

#9 mike30

mike30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:54 PM

Thanks again for the replies.  After disabling different parts of Norton, I found that the Smart Firewall is what was causing the problem.  Odd, it was never an issue before this started, and again I have been using it (with Smart Firewall on) for years with no problems.  Any ideas as to what to do?  Is there a way to still enable the firewall and not have it block internet access?  Do I need the firewall?  I checked the Windows Firewall to make sure there wasn't a conflict and it said Norton Security was controlling the Windows firewall, which is what it has always said.  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!

#10 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

"Do I need the firewall?" Please read this post by Quietman7. Post #2

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517332/firewall-i-thought-windows-would-have-been-my-choice-but/

#11 mike30

mike30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

OK, so it looks like the firewall is desired.  The question still remains then, any ideas on how to get things back like they were - Norton Smart Firewall enabled AND access to the internet?  At the present time, it appears something happened where I can only have one or the other...

#12 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hi. Have a look here. Perhaps it will be of some help to you http://community.norton.com/en/forums/smart-firewall-blocking-firefox-30-browsing-and-cannot-configure-program-rules

#13 mike30

mike30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:44 AM

Thank you.  Unfortunately that was already one of the articles/forums I had stumbled upon in my research, and my attempts at following their potential fixes fell flat.  Perhaps I'm just not savvy enough.

#14 paev

paev

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:47 PM

Sorry for your trouble. Could you just put port on which you normally connect the web through as exclusion till your Norton licence runs out or put your browser as exclusion programme. I just have a thought that if you have Windows fire wall on along with Norton it may conflict thus you are having problem. I try to avoid Norton and not really familiar with it as I heard many bad things about it. Also if you try to set your network manually sort of proxy along with the browser you use Norton then may leave you along. I'm sure you have thought about it already just if you have a long way to go with Norton licence wise you have to use it till it runs out otherwise what you spent money for? There's podcast called podnutz they are always happy to answer questions. They use Google hangout for calling in and you can also email its host Jeff he is always happy to answer any questions via email. At least you know the reason of your problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users