Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 jercgirl

jercgirl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Hello all. I am back - yesterday HitSquad informed me that my hard drive is dying. Last night I tried to get back in, to no avail. I have thrown in the towel and I am ready to replace my HDD and reinstall everything. My question is this (no laughing, please): I am looking at some drives that seem to have massive capacity (250 GB!!!) - but do I have to worry about memory or anything? I can't remember what my capacity is currently - but my PC is 5-6 years old. Any thoughts from anyone? And does anyone have recommendations about a certain brand? The one that caught my eye was a Seagate. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 10:41 AM

Given the age of your machine, I would guess that you now have a 40GB to 80GB IDE hard drive.

Yes, hard drive capacities are going thru the roof ! You could get a 500GB drive. But, If you were satisfied with what you had then there is no need to get a huge drive. 40GB drives are almost obsolete so I would recommend getting an 80GB drive:

Western Digital WD800JB

Since you will be installing the OS from scratch I would strongly suggest that you create 2 partitions rather than 1. One partition for the OS and the other for savable files. This way should you need to reinstall the OS again all your files will stay intact in your data partition.

Once you get up and running on the new drive you still might be able to access the old drive in order to retrieve files. Maybe not, though. Set it up as the slave and attach it temporarily to the same data cable as the new drive.

#3 jercgirl

jercgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 11:18 AM

Thank you for your help. I looked at that drive - maybe that's how I'll go. I don't see a reason to go with much more than 80GB at the present. Thank you also for the tip about partitioning - I know that back when I got my PC, I pretty much let it set up with a minimal level of tweaking on my part (put the CD in and go have a coffee, etc.). Since then, I have learned a bit more - and I think I will try your suggestion.
Thanks again for the assist.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:30 PM

Seagate isthe best choice - it's the only brand that comes with a five year warranty.

Look at ads from the major stores - they run on sale often.

Circuitcity has a Seagate 160gig Hdd for $59.95 after rebate
Seagate Internal Hard Drive (ST3160023A-RK)
•160GB capacity, 7200RPM
•8MB data buffer

•Easy installation
•For Mac® and PC
$59.99
http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Hard-Drives...categorylist.do

And I've seen a 250 gig for $89.95 recently.

#5 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

Since you will be installing the OS from scratch I would strongly suggest that you create 2 partitions rather than 1. One partition for the OS and the other for savable files. This way should you need to reinstall the OS again all your files will stay intact in your data partition.

Huh? I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here... One partition should be enough for any installation of Windows. And any saved files on this partition won't be affected by a reinstallation of WinXP except for those associated with windows... I've reinstalled WinXP several times on my C drive and not once have I lost any installed games, apps or media files as long as I didn't keep them in my 'My Documents' or 'Windows' folders.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're saying (please don't say the same thing twice though :thumbsup: )

Good luck jercgirl! :flowers:
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

Not so, Modulus. A "repair install" will leave all non-OS files be, but not a full installation or an installation by a special OEM repair disc.

#7 Modulus

Modulus

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:31 PM

I think that's only if you delete your original partition and create a new one... Or if you were to format the drive and then install windows... But I've gone into the WinXP setup disk and selected full install, at which time it warns me that another installation of WinXP exists and will be overwritten, but after that's all done when I log into my new installation of windows all of the folders are still intact on my HDD. I've still got a full install of World of Warcraft, my spyware remover is still there, and so is Daemon tools, various other games and apps and everything under the program files folder.

So I'm really not sure what you're talking about... Maybe you're talking about a fresh install after formatting the drive or deleting an old partition before installation.

I have never reinstalled windows and lost all the information on my HDD. *shrug*
I'm not a vegetarian because I dislike meat, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants!

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:49 PM

Repair installations will not get rid of viruses and some other problems.

A full, fresh installation is always better, and in order to do that you must format the drive first.

With large drives partitions can be useful to separate Windows from other aps and to separate data from both.

That makes backups simpler and makes it faster and easier to defrag, etc.

#9 jercgirl

jercgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:22 AM

Well, I have been unable to get back into my OS at all - a brand new hdd is sitting on my desk, waiting for me to install. I do have one more question, though. Since my PC came to me from the factory with drives installed, where do I need to go to get a boot disk? I would assume I need one to start my new drive, yes?
Thank you all again for your kind assistance. Keep your fingers (and toes) crossed for me, please.

#10 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:08 PM

"Boot disk" ? Do you mean a disc that will set up your new hard drive ? New hard drives come unpartitioned and unformatted, but an XP install disc comes with a utility to do partitioning and formatting of hard drives during the process of installation. No separate special utilities are needed.

#11 jercgirl

jercgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:37 AM

I guess I will have to start off with windows 98SE (what my system came with) and then I will have to install Xp -- I have an 'upgrade' disk.
Thanks for the help - I never had to install a new hdd before. I hope it goes okay!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users