Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

capturing video from youtube software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 malcom123

malcom123

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:47 PM

Hi I thought I had found safe from virus video capture software for use with youtube.
It is called "easy video capture" on the cnet download site. Free

Reviews for it were all positive and no one reported nasties on their computers.

I decided to try it but I did not install on the laptop I am writing this on I used my old xp machine as a precaution. Good job I did it carried a virus and the virus software protection dealt with it. As a result it would not run and I had to reset my browser home page which had been set to blank.

My question is does anyone know of a safe to download youtube video capturing software.! Free if possible. Or is that too much to hope for these days..sad.gif
user_offline.pngreport.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:15 PM

We use MP3 Rocket available here: www.allmusicdownloads.com/downloads/mp3rocket DOT exe

It's pretty good but has one maybe two annoyances. 1 - When there is an update available, two web pages are opened when the program is started and pops up a download Window. So I close that down each time because I don't want to download another update for now. 2 - There may or may not be some extra programs to unselect during installation.

#3 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

That's an excellent way to get adware and other scumware on your computer. I've seen better ratings on VirusTotal...

#4 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 03:39 AM

Interesting. There is another annoyance with it in that when you download the installer from the above link it only downloads a stub which when run downloads the installer. It 'seems' dodgy and I've scanned the stub here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7cb245d960285ce609d59cdf2def752bec40323e4c9e76786bb42ad4d745617b/analysis/1421998922/

It is variously identified as Adware, Unwanted and a variant of  .... 

However I'm not convinced those anti virus programs are correct. We've been using it for a couple of years with minimal annoyances. The only real annoyance is its rude (but optional) attempt to encourage the user to download an update. However, who is to say that the update is not a security fix rather than Adware or something worse.

Those anti virus programs identifying it as Badware. I wonder if they are false reporting for the reason that the program can allow the user to download all Youtube music and videos which can enable the user to download copyright material. (Though there are plenty of Youtubes that have no such restrictions)

I'm sure we are all aware since Snowden how Tech firms can be easily made to do the bidding of government agencies etc.

Anyway. I suggest to the OP to be brave, create a Restore Point for peace of mind and give the program a try. It's very useful indeed.

(Disclaimer: We have not downloaded the latest MP3Rocket Update on our Window 8 and Windows 7 Laptops - so we cannot claim to know 100% that it is OK )

#5 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

Interesting. There is another annoyance with it in that when you download the installer from the above link it only downloads a stub which when run downloads the installer. It 'seems' dodgy and I've scanned the stub here: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/7cb245d960285ce609d59cdf2def752bec40323e4c9e76786bb42ad4d745617b/analysis/1421998922/

It is variously identified as Adware, Unwanted and a variant of  .... 

However I'm not convinced those anti virus programs are correct. We've been using it for a couple of years with minimal annoyances. The only real annoyance is its rude (but optional) attempt to encourage the user to download an update. However, who is to say that the update is not a security fix rather than Adware or something worse.

Those anti virus programs identifying it as Badware. I wonder if they are false reporting for the reason that the program can allow the user to download all Youtube music and videos which can enable the user to download copyright material. (Though there are plenty of Youtubes that have no such restrictions)

I'm sure we are all aware since Snowden how Tech firms can be easily made to do the bidding of government agencies etc.

Anyway. I suggest to the OP to be brave, create a Restore Point for peace of mind and give the program a try. It's very useful indeed.

(Disclaimer: We have not downloaded the latest MP3Rocket Update on our Window 8 and Windows 7 Laptops - so we cannot claim to know 100% that it is OK )

Hi. The virus software puts it to bed so to speak and as such the app won't run at all. I don't think i should risk disabling the virus software.

It was suggested to me to use a web based downloader which i have tried and does thus far what i need without risking getting rubbish from download sites.  I have found a web site that has evaluated the most popular free download sites and they were all as nearly bad as each other.  Totally unsafe to use. Regards Malcom

#6 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:03 AM

We use MP3 Rocket available here: www.allmusicdownloads.com/downloads/mp3rocket DOT exe

It's pretty good but has one maybe two annoyances. 1 - When there is an update available, two web pages are opened when the program is started and pops up a download Window. So I close that down each time because I don't want to download another update for now. 2 - There may or may not be some extra programs to unselect during installation.

Thank's.  I have been informed (by the microsoft community) of a web based downloader no need to install an app. Seems to work ok for my needs.  So thus far i feel happier not to risk a download i can manage without.

#7 HairCut

HairCut

• Members
  • 235 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

Fair enough.

What is the URL for the Web Based down loader you are going to use?

#8 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:32 AM

People can usually remove check marks from the boxes in front of the offered crapware, but by looking at the number of people flooding the malware removal forums, very few even bother. They're simply clicking OK > Next > OK > Next > Finish.......

#9 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Fair enough.

It's pwnyoutube.com

Took awhile to figure it out. Look on google for site because I found another page that gave me the link to save in my favourites so all I do now is locate the youtube video I want to save and start it playing then I click on the favourites pwn link and after a few seconds a video type selection appears at top of screen to select mp4 etc. Make a choice and the option to save appears at the bottom of the screen.......

If you don't have the convenient link in your favourites you have to manually copy the domain address into the pwn bar on their page.

I was originally told to simple play the youtube video and then typ pwn in front of the youtube address. I found that clumsy and could not get it to work

#10 malcom123

malcom123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:10 PM

Fair enough.

http://keepvid.com/

I have also been given the above link for a similar site.  Tried it but for me it failed with an error message about java not being installed and gave a link to do so which I declined as my computer is new windows 8.1 and I would have thought that java already comes with bell and whistles..Or does it ?

Not knowing the site I won't be installing anything from it. It may work on your sytem as an alternative as the poster that gave the link to me says it works fine for him...

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:59 PM

Finding third party software embedded in a downloaded program is pretty common now days.  This is a means of extra income for the author of the original program being downloaded.

The third party software can be avoided by using the "Custom" installation.  This is apposed to the "Express" installation, this is usually the "suggested" means of installation.

By using the Custom installation you will see all of the third party software.  There are usually two ways that this is presented.  The most common, at least currently, is a listing of the title of the software and a check box to accept the installation.  In these instances the check box has already had a check in the box.  You will need to click on the box to remove it.

The other presentation of the third party software looks like what you would think is the program you downloaded.  But there will be a accept or don't accept option usually found in the lower left portion of the page.  You need to read the software description for each of these pages to be sure you don't install the third party software.

If you inadvertently install any of these third party software, you can use a program like AdwCleaner which usually will remove the unwanted software. 

Please note:  Clicking on the link above will automatically initiate the download of AdwCleaner from Bleeping Computer.

Edited by dc3, 23 January 2015 - 02:00 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#12 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:34 AM

I use my download manager within MAXTHON Browser , after clicking on "resource sniffer" select vids pics etc.

Some Vids are broken into smaller files and dont work , but any single video files work fine.

Otherwise for any video on Youtube i use VideoGrabby  http://www.videograbby.com/#

Just copy the Youtube Link and paste within VideoGrabby webpage and select where to save ....done.

Had no issues ,  fast speeds and no installs required , and no bad reviews found.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users