Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Browsers Can Not Access Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:10 PM

windows 8 laptop, Virus free

my internet shows as "connected" "internet access" and my wireless signal has full bars,

when i click on internet explorer it comes up with the "This page can't be displayed"

i even loaded Firefox just to see if it could connect, and it can not connect either

i have used msconfig to disable all services and startup programs, but the problem still is the same,

however, internet explorer and firefox BOTH work in safe mode

any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:22 PM

Try disabling your firewall or antivirus temporarily. Any luck?

If no luck, try a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure to hopefully isolate the offending application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:03 PM

Try disabling your firewall or antivirus temporarily. Any luck?

If no luck, try a Clean Boot troubleshooting procedure to hopefully isolate the offending application. Run it for both Services and Startup items.

thanks,

looks like the problem was caused by the antivirus software,

i removed it and now everything works

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:05 PM

There probably was a setting to change. You didn't have to uninstall the antivirus. Do make sure to install another one before browsing the Web again.

Please stick around after posting. Helpers are never far. Don't disappear for a week!
Our help is free, so please have the courtesy to reply in a timely manner. Thank you!

#5 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:07 PM

There probably was a setting to change. You didn't have to uninstall the antivirus. Do make sure to install another one before browsing the Web again.

yeah im going to re-install it,

i couldnt access the antivirus software to get to the settings,

when i double clicked on the icon and nothing would happen, thats why i removed it

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Is it possible to know which Antivirus product you were/are using?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 996 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:07 PM

Is it possible to know which Antivirus product you were/are using?

it was Norton Antivirus which i personally do not like, it was not my computer,

i put AVG on it now, and all is good

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,190 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

I just noticed in one of your other thread that you are having a lot of issues on your computer, so I guess this one is solved for now and that you can focus on these other issues.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users