Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undeletable files

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 shrice

shrice

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Good day, ladies and gents

I'm not sure this is a Win7 problem but that's what I'm running so I'll try here. 

I have a couple of files that have shown up on my system which I am unable to delete, erase or rename.  I have tried MBAM, Spybot, Emsisoft, File Assassin, Super Anti-spyware, MRT and TakeOwnership with no results. 

These files are named -

"=_UTF-8_B_T25jzKdhX3BpbnRhZGEuanBn_="

and

"=_UTF-8_B_UmHMiGltLkpQRw==_="  without quotation marks.

I run Win7 and IE11.  When I try to delete, etc., I get the following msg in a popup - "Could not find this item"

These are not big files, about 200 to 400 k, and they don't seem to be affecting anything but it's annoying.  Does anyone out there have any ideas?

Thanks, S.

Edited by shrice, 22 January 2015 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:22 PM

What is the file path for these files?

Why are you concerned with deleting them?\

Louis

#3 shrice

shrice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

Hi, Louis

They are files that came with an Easynews zip file which I open, examine the files and then (usually) delete.  I want to get rid of them because I don't want odd files cluttering up the drive, especially when I don't know what they're doing there and I get suspicious when they won't respond to simple commands.  The file path is "G:\Movies\New Folder\New Folder (5)" and "G:\Movies\New Folder\New Folder (11)".  The G drive is just used for file storage.

Thanks, S.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

First thing you should do...change Windows settings so that you can see all file extensions, including those for system files.  Let us know the file extensions.

Louis

#5 shrice

shrice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

The settings you are requesting are always my current view settings.  What you see is what I get, i.e. no file extensions visible for these two files.  S.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

I came across this tip from another poster, x64. Type CMD in the search box > Right click Run as Administrator.

Type:

CD G:\Movies\New Folder\New Folder (5)

Then at the prompt

Dir /x   <enter>

This will give you a short name list. Type:

del (shortnameyouwantdeleted)  <enter>

#7 shrice

shrice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Thank you, John, for that tip.  I will have to try it the next time this problem pops up.  While continuing to work on this thing, I encountered a short, free program called Unlocker.  It solved my problem so smoothly and without fanfare that I thought I would pass it on.  I hope I'm not stepping on my private parts by including this URL but, here it is ... http://www.emptyloop.com/unlocker/

If you download it, be very careful with the installation requests because it wants to put lots and lots of stuff on your computer, but a clean install is possible.

Thanks,again, Louis and John.

S.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

No problem linking to Unlocker. I have used it before. Another one by Malwarebytes is File Assassin. Glad you were able to solve your problem and thanks for the update.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Glad you resolved it :).

Many of us already know about Unlocker...past versions with no tricks and the current version with a need for a watchful eye :).

I asked about file extension because it would seem that something is inherently wrong (and possibly dangerous) about such a file.  The only exception I'm aware of to this "every file has an extension" would be the hosts file in Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users