Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Windows 10, good idea or not?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Hi,

Is it good to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

The part after 1 year, I don't really understand.

After 1 year, do you have to pay to upgrade to Windows 10 or do you have to pay to update (security stuff, bug, fix, etc) your computer???

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2015 - 03:24 PM.
Moved from Win 8 to Win 10 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:27 PM

You shouldn't upgrade to Windows 10 before the official release. For now, its still a technical preview and unless you know exactly how to use Windows and troubleshoot your own issues, you might not be able to use it properly or if it crashes, you won't be able to troubleshoot it yourself. Also, for what we know right now, every Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users can upgrade to Windows 10 in the year its released (on the official release day), after that, people that want to upgrade to Windows 10 will have to buy it. But once you're upgraded to it, you have it.

Edited by Aura., 22 January 2015 - 09:02 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

does microsoft force windows 10 future users to pay for getting automatic updates?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:50 PM

Microsoft never forced users to pay for automatic updates on a Windows system that they own and paid for. Where are you getting that from?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Ah thank you. I think I misread some news article about W10

Edited by Pat(rick), 22 January 2015 - 07:59 PM.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

From the horse's mouth:  The next generation of Windows: Windows 10

QUOTE:

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10

Today was a monumental day for us on the Windows team because we shared our desire to redefine the relationship we have with you – our customers. We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch.*

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost. With Windows 10, the experience will evolve and get even better over time. We’ll deliver new features when they’re ready, not waiting for the next major release...........(Read more in link above)

*Hardware and software requirements apply. No additional charge. Feature availability may vary by device. Some editions excluded. More details at http://www.windows.com.

The launch date hasn't been set...the word is that it will be launched in the Fall....Sept., Oct., Nov. or Dec.

Edited by buddy215, 22 January 2015 - 08:01 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,660 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

If you go on BleepingComputer.com homepage, the first article displayed in the middle of the page is about that (Windows 10 being free for Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users), so you can go read it and follow the discussion on going in the thread :)

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users