Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Counstrike..whats Up With All The Versions?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:34 AM

Im a bit confused by the whole counterstrike stuff. What is the difference between old counter strike and counter strike zero and source?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:07 PM

Okay I hope this doesn't get too confusing.

When Counter-Strike was released, it was its own game with its own menus and stuff up to version 1.5. Once Steam came out, Valve pretty much moved all of the games onto steam network and thats when Counter Strike got its most recent 'version' of 1.6. Now, with steam, they could do little updates to their games instead of packing in 100 megs worth of changes and now the 'oldest' (and worst looking) Counter Strike is simply refered to as 1.6.

About a year or two ago, Counter-Strike: Condition Zero was released. Its basacially the same thing as 1.6 CS but it has some changes. All the character and weapon models are improved and some new features were added (like you couldn't be hurt from a grenade exploding if it was on the other side of a wall, and the addition of picking up dead players grenades) along with a new and more detailed version of most of the official maps were included (along with a little single player game called Deleted Scenes). Both 1.6 and CZ are on the Half Life 1 engine (which uses the Quake 3 engine or something like that) and look very outdated.

Now, once CZ was released, there was a beta test that lasted a few months for Counter Strike: Source. CS:S is basacially just Condition Zero on Valve's own Source engine. Just think of what Half Life 2 looks like and CS:S is similar in graphics, they're now starting to implement HDR into new and old maps (de_dust just got HDR recently). People like to talk down on it because of hit-box, bug, and glitch problems but its not too bad of a game.

*edit* lets see if I can get some pictures here.

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cs163hi.jpg

CZ
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3050/cz6sx.jpg

CSS
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/4865/css1wo.jpg

Edited by Wizdabest, 23 June 2006 - 12:28 PM.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:17 PM

Can people still cheat on it like they used to be able to in the 1.5 version? Can they still shoot through walls etc.

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:19 PM

Yes, lots of it still.

Though Valve has tried to implement their own methods to stop it using their program VAC (Valve's Anti-Cheat system), but there is still cheating so its best to go to servers that you know are well maintained.

*edit* there, have some screenshots of the same map, cs_milita from all three games.

Edited by Wizdabest, 23 June 2006 - 12:29 PM.

#5 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:30 PM

Yeah, there are still hacks EVERYWHERE. Some of the more annoying ones are the auto-headshot hacks (no matter where you aim, your bullets find the nearest head and BANG), and the hack that allows people to see through walls (not sure what they see, i think it's like wireframe or something.

I hate idiots that hack and cheat. It completely ruins the point of the game.

Also, the AWP, auto-shotty, and auto-sniper are for pansies.....

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:34 PM

I second that AWP, auto-shotgun, and auto-sniper thing and I've made it my rule to not buy those weapons, I can only pick them up off the ground. So there is usually a good little reward for killing somebody with those weapons.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:38 PM

I just don't like using them AT ALL. I play a lot of surf and iceworld maps, and hate when idiots sit in a corner and use the AWP. It takes no skill what-so-ever to shoot someone SOMEWHERE in the body and have them die. Scouts i respect, AWP's i loathe.

#8 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:42 PM

lol yea.

Play much cs_assault? Vents are always fun when somebody camps in the upper vents with a shotgun. Awps and auto-snipers are just as bad. Gottal love servers that disable the purchase of those snipers.

Speaking of valve's games, Day of Defeat is getting two new maps and that new film grain thing on wednesday. cool.

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:45 PM

Thats why i stopped playing CS. I used to LOVE playing a sniper in TF though.

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

oh man I did too, it was so much fun, though TFC has sort of died a bit. I hope TF2 is unveiled soon. Heck, even the HL2 mod, Fortress Forever would be a refreshing experience (I hope).

lol, I used to Snipe on my 56k years ago because thats all I could play well with and it would take like a whole second for my bullets to actually hit something after I take the shot.... The good old days.

*edit* oh, I should probably point out that CZ was done by (I think) Turtle Rock Studios after Valve pulled the plug on Gearbox when gearbox was doing it.

Edited by Wizdabest, 23 June 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#11 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:16 PM

I was going to ask somewere else and if you guys think its inappropriate then i will just drop the subject but i cant buy any of the games because i do not have a credit or debit card and i was wondering i've seen many places around but its very complicated. Is there a way to get Counter Strike or Day Of Defeat for free?
I can only learn what i want to learn.

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:22 PM

I was going to ask somewere else and if you guys think its inappropriate then i will just drop the subject but i cant buy any of the games because i do not have a credit or debit card and i was wondering i've seen many places around but its very complicated. Is there a way to get Counter Strike or Day Of Defeat for free?

Yeah, you get CS for free when you buy Half-life 2.... :thumbsup:

#13 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:26 PM

:thumbsup: Damn you. Not what i ment lol.
I can only learn what i want to learn.

#14 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 04:54 PM

You can get Condition Zero and regular Counter Strike with the (I believe) Half-Life Antholgy (ew for spelling) pack at retail. Also, you can get the retail Half-Life 2 and CS:S comes with it.

#15 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 11:48 PM

Osiris,

Unfortunately you are not going to get help with warez here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users