Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fake Adobe Flash updates

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
39 replies to this topic

#1 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hi, 

Sometimes, during my normal web browsing, I get redirected to a website telling me to update my adobe flash. I never click it, because I know it's malware garbage, but I still get directed to that website every once in a while. Neither AVG or malwarebytes (while using chameleon) seem to find anything when I scan, but I am worried because this happens to me every so often. I don't go anywhere shady, so I'm not quite sure how this is happening unless there is malware -- but I haven't been able to find any installed malware at all! 

Please let me know if I should be worried and if so, what actions I can take.

I have windows 8 and use Google Chrome as my browser.

Thanks!

Edit: I've been googling around and see some people saying it could be a virus in the router?? How is that even possible? This is my work computer -- does that mean all of our computers could be effected? Please let me know. Ugh!

Edited by sparklynnprez, 22 January 2015 - 02:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:01 PM

Hello  Sparky, I was reading your post and you made me laugh because reading what fools are saying on internet about viruses and stuff they don't know but they keep talking about that.. :lmao: .

What antivirus do you have ?? .... Do something like this go to adobe site the official one and check what version of flash player they have there and after that check your version ... one more thing is to update ur Google Chrome browser and is enough ... it installs flash active X and flash player plug-ins automatically ... No virus is in router OK ??  there is not such thing ...  :hysterical: ... pleople are stupid ...some of them... go here and download this tool  >>

#3 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:03 PM

DRWEB Cureit link https://www.freedrweb.com/download+cureit+free/?lng=en 

#4 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

Adblock Plus does not only block ads... It disables tracking, malware domains and more... Enjoy a clean and safer browsing...

#5 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Hi - I already use adblock plus.

This is the router infection I was worried about -- but we have an ATT router/modem combo, not Linksys: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2487791/malware-vulnerabilities/-the-moon--worm-infects-linksys-routers.html

I know I don't actually need to update my flash, which is why I was concerned that this "Update flash!" thing shows up from time to time. 

I use AVG and malwarebytes to keep my computer free of malware and viruses, but neither detected anything.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:49 PM

Please download AdwCleaner.

• Double-click the adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click Scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click Clean.
  • When the cleaning process is over, click Report and a Notepad window will be opened.
  • Please post the contents into your next reply.

Edited by Phantom010, 22 January 2015 - 03:49 PM.

#7 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:31 PM

And by the way, any particular websites you're on when being redirected?

#8 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

It depends.

I was looking up some interesting articles for a project I am working on for work -- I have mostly noticed it on a site called The Toast (www.the-toast.net), which is just a blog. It happened again today going to tumblr.

(It may seem like these are very non work related things, but it is for a social media project I am doing.)

(I know I don't need to defend myself but I feel like I should).

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

At first glance, The Toast doesn't seem to have any videos unless you disable Adblock Plus. Once disabled, I found a HTML5 video only, no Flash. How are you being redirected? After clicking on a link, a picture, or maybe a video? Do you disable Adblock Plus when browsing that website?

Edited by Phantom010, 22 January 2015 - 04:49 PM.

#10 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

No, I never disable it. :( I get directed to the "update flash now!!" website when I click on an article to open in a new tab sometimes -- it doesn't happen every time, or always on the same article. If I open a bunch of tabs at once, sometimes it is that page.

Earlier today, I got redirected to a different one that said I needed to update my media player and the page looked like it was copying adobe's design. It tells me to download stuff (again, I never click the download links -- never ever).

I can't seem to find the earlier redirects but here is the URL for the page I got redirected to earlier when I was going to tumblr -- you probably shouldn't click on it though, as it's shady as heck.

mvozz.ddlsys.cownotebook.xyz

#11 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:03 PM

If you wish, you can run AdwCleaner and see what it finds. It removes a lot of stuff MBAM doesn't.

#12 Gmer99

Gmer99

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Please update your Chrome to version 40.0.2214.91 m ... after your done with browser run a scan with Drweb Cure it tool to find out if your local host 127.0.0.1  is hijacked and this might be the cause of your redirecting issue ... also run a system clean with CCleaner ... or reset your browser to default settings... :thumbup2:

#13 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hi guys -- thanks for the help, but I would like to get a go-head from the Malware Response Team before I go ahead with these steps, as I am hearing different pieces from advice from both of you. Also, in the past when I've received help in this forum, the people helping me linked to trusted download links within the bleepingcomputer site, so I just want to be sure before I download anything.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,279 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

The link to AdwCleaner provided above is for the official site and is safe.

BC provides this AdwCleaner Official download mirror which you can also use.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 sparklynnprez

sparklynnprez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

Ah! Thank you so much!

I'm so sorry for the misunderstanding and I hope that I did not offend anyone. Gmer99, I appreciate your help and advice, though I am going to follow the steps laid out by Phantom010 from here out. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users