Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free disk space issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

I normally have roughly 40 - 60 gb of free space on drive c. I noticed it says 14 gb now. I ran jdisk report, that reports 93.9 gb used, windows reports 131 gb used, a big difference. 93 is the "normal" range for c drive. is windows reporting the wrong free space? what can I do to correct this? see attached screenshot.

Attached File  Capture.PNG   116.02KB   0 downloads

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hi Sylveon Fetish :)

Is it possible for you to use WinDirStat instead to see how much space is taken on your drive and where is that space being taken? Will be much more efficient than jDisk Report. Also, if you can add a screenshot of the whole WinDirStat window once it's done calculating, it would help.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

windirstat agrees with jdisk report. windows disagrees with both

Attached Files

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:26 PM

If you go on "Computer", to have a look of all the drives on your system, does C: shows with only 15GB of space, like the second window in the first screenshot says?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:48 PM

yes. that's why I posted this topic. restarting computer didn't correct the problem, either

#6 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

I prefer to use Treesize Free (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/) to see what the HD looks like.

From what i see you have a HUGE collection of AIFF & WAV files.  I'm guessing you are editing a lot of audio files?  Right there you have nearly 30 Gigs of data.

There are different ways to look at how much space is taken by a file (file size <> Space taken on HD).  I.E.  A file which is 513 Bytes in size will actually take up 1024 byes of space on the Hard drive.  This is due to how Windows allocates space.  This is a complicated subject to explain.  In short, I believe the programs are looking at space in different ways, hence the difference in space.

Windows has a folder named WinSxS which can grow rather large in size over time (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190).  Your windows folder shows 19 gigs which is not bad.  I'm more concerned about your User profile(s) being so large.

Have you ran the windows Cleanup util?

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:51 PM

Can you tell me how much space TFC can clean?

3DPGbxe.pngTemp File Cleaner (TFC)
  • Download and execute Temp File Cleaner (TFC);
  • Simply click on Start to launch the clean-up and wait until it completes;
    s5yB2E8.png
  • Depending on which processes are running, all your programs will be closed and explorer.exe (your Windows shell) will be killed, it will however be relaunched shortly after so do not panic;
  • There's no log to give for this tool;

unite_blue.png

#8 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 421 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

Windows has a folder named WinSxS which can grow rather large in size over time (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2795190).  Your windows folder shows 19 gigs which is not bad.  I'm more concerned about your User profile(s) being so large.

cleammgr can only free 17 mb or so, so that's not it. more concerned about how windows thinks more space is used than any other program.

ashampoo winoptimizer does what that temp cleaner does it gave only 100mb. still did not fix the issue

#9 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

See http://superuser.com/questions/273932/almost-half-of-disk-space-unaccounted-for-on-windows-7-computer.  Same issue.

you have sparse files on your system, which WinDirStat is counting the "registered sizes" of, but Windows' built-in statistics report isn't counting this. A sparse file is one that has a big empty space in between and can be created by a program that creates a file (which always starts as 0 bytes), then writes a little bit of data at some point later in the file (e.g., if at the 1 GB marker, then the registered size will be 1 GB even though it doesn't actually use 1 whole GB)

Try Treesize Free.

I would stick to using the Windows results.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

cleammgr can only free 17 mb or so, so that's not it. more concerned about how windows thinks more space is used than any other program.

ashampoo winoptimizer does what that temp cleaner does it gave only 100mb. still did not fix the issue

Did you try the TFC scan like I posted above?

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users