Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unusually high CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 mc567

mc567

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi, I've been having serious problems with my laptop's (An Asus U33JC bamboo) CPU usage at the moment, especially while gaming. The problem first started about 2 months ago, before then i had no problems running games like Skyrim on high settings, but now even watching a video in HD on youtube sends my CPU usage right up to 100%. I ran my anti-virus software several times without it finding anything (I used both Microsoft security essentials and Ad-aware). I also ordered a new fan as the noise was getting ridiculous from my old one and i thought that may have been the cause, but it hasn't helped. I also swapped out my hard drive for a spare i had lying around and the problem was still there, so now i've run out of ideas... Any suggestions? I've attached a dxdiag in case that's helpful.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:24 PM

Hi mc567 :)

If you have both Microsoft Security Essentials and Ad-Aware installed, then I guess that it's the cause of your issue. You should never run two Antivirus software at once on a system, since it'll cause a lot of conflict and even crashes. quietman wrote a good paragraph explaining this concept:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

When scanning engines are initiated, each anti-virus may interpret the activity of the other as suspicious behavior and there is a greater chance of them alerting you to a "false positive". If one finds a virus or a suspicious file and then the other also finds the same, both programs will be competing over exclusive rights on dealing with that threat. Each anti-virus may attempt to remove the offending file and quarantine it at the same time resulting in a resource management issue as to which program gets permission to act first. If one anit-virus finds and quarantines the file before the other one does, then you may encounter the problem of both wanting to scan each other's zipped or archived files and each reporting the other's quarantined contents. This can lead to a repetitive cycle of endless alerts that continually warn you that a threat has been found after it has already been neutralized.

Anti-virus scanners use virus definitions to check for malware and these can include a fragment of the virus code which may be recognized by other anti-virus programs as the virus itself. Because of this, many anti-virus vendors encrypt their definitions so that they do not trigger a false alarm when scanned by other security programs. Other vendors do not encrypt their definitions and they can trigger false alarms when detected by the resident anti-virus. Further, dual installation is not always possible because most of the newer anti-virus programs will detect the presence of another and may insist that it be removed prior to installation. If the installation does complete with another anti-virus already installed, you may encounter issues like system freezing, unresponsiveness or similar symptoms as described above while trying to use it. In some cases, one of the anti-virus programs may even get disabled by the other.

To avoid these problems, use only one anti-virus solution. Deciding which one to remove is your choice. Be aware that you may lose your subscription to that anti-virus program's virus definitions once you uninstall that software.

Microsoft and major Anti-virus vendors recommend that you install and run only one anti-virus program at a time

Source: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/#entry2316629

If you don't have both programs installed at once on your system, then the issue is elsewhere.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 mc567

mc567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:02 PM

They're not installed at the same time anymore, i only installed security essentials because i wanted a second opinion as it were, i removed it after it performed a full scan

Thanks for the tip though! Had no idea that could cause problems

Edited by mc567, 22 January 2015 - 01:03 PM.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Alright, let's start from the beginning.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Download MiniToolBox and move the executable file to your Desktop;
  • Execute MiniToolBox and check the following options:
    • Flush DNS;
    • Report IE Proxy Settings;
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings;
    • Report FF Proxy Settings;
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings;
    • List content of Hosts;
    • List Installed Programs;
    • List last 10 Event Viewer Errors;
      uHsnwIz.png
  • Once this is done, click on Go and wait for the scan to complete;
  • Once the scan is complete, a log will open. Please copy/paste the content of the output log in your next reply;

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 mc567

mc567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:38 PM

Okay, here's the results Attached File  Result.txt   19.61KB   1 downloads

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

There's two things I would like you to try. First, uninstall Razer Game Booster. These kind of software are totally useless and not needed on Windows. Secondly, I would like you to update your NVIDIA graphic card drivers to their latest version since they are outdated and see if it makes any changes when you game.

Download and install NVIDIA drivers
Follow the instructions below to download and install the latest NVIDIA drivers for your graphic card:
  • Go on the NVIDIA Drivers download webpage;
  • Select the correct information in each list, matching your computer, system and graphic card;
  • Once done, click on the Search button;
  • Click on the Download button, then on the next page, click on Agree & Download;
  • Wait for the installer to download, then execute it;
  • Follow the instructions until you are asked if you want a "Quick" or "Custom (Advanced)" installation, and select Custom (Advanced);
  • Make sure that every item in the list is checked, then pursue with the installation;
  • Once the drivers are installed, it'll ask to restart your system, please do so;
  • NOTE: If you are running Windows 7, update your Windows Experience Index score after the restart;

unite_blue.png

#7 mc567

mc567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:51 PM

done both of the above, doesn't seem to have made a difference i'm afraid.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

Alright, are you able to take a screenshot under Windows? By either using the Clipping utility or any other screenshot software like ShareX?

unite_blue.png

#9 mc567

mc567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:09 PM

Sorry for the delay, work etc.
And apologies for my ignorance, but what exactly would you like me to screenshot? I have downloaded ShareX

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:28 PM

Alright, you can use the Ctrl + Prnt Scrn button to take a delimited zone screenshot under ShareX. Once the screenshot is uploaded, it will be copied in your clipboard, so simply use Ctrl + V to paste the link. Right-click on the Windows taskbar and select Start Task Manager. Go in the Processes tab and click once on the CPU column so the processes are ordered by CPU usage (from the highest to the lowest). Screenshot the whole Task Manager window and post the screenshot here.

unite_blue.png

#11 mc567

mc567
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:16 PM

okay, i've actually been having trouble replicating the problem tonight, even when running a couple of games, but i've got a screenshot anyway.Attached File  2015-01-23_18-13-47.png   483.27KB   0 downloads 

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:19 PM

The highest CPU usage is taken by ShareX, and I guess that it was a momentenum spike caused by the fact that you just took a screnshoot. Other than that, your CPU usage is just fine. I noticed that you're running Google Chrome 32-bits when you have Windows 64-bits. I suggest you to uninstall it, and download the official 64-bits version (go on the download page, click on "Other Platforms" and select "Windows 7/8 64-bits") then install it. It'll take less resources (RAM and CPU) than the 32-bits version, so it could help as well.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users