Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook loads very slow, doesn't respond at first, then finally does...

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cook2465

cook2465

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:44 AM

recently I have noticed that my MS Outlook has been loading very slowly, upon loading, if I try to compose an email it stops responding and once it does respond sometimes lags or freezes and then eventually works. I"m not sure why? Earlier this year I discovered that my son accidentally downloaded a 'crack' tool which I caught quickly and was able to remove and make sure my system is clean. It was after this that I noticed the lagging. However, around the same time I started working from home and added a MS Exchange email account to my outlook - I'm not sure if this is affecting it . Thank you for your help!

I have been assured by Ken545 that my system is clean.

I posted this from my phone - is there any way I can edit the topic title and correct the type-o's? Slightly embarrassing!

Edited by cook2465, 22 January 2015 - 07:55 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:07:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

No, you cannot edit the topic title.

No big deal about the typos, which are understandable when using your phone and the small keyboard. Our big fingers on that small keyboard often make typos.  

However, I can and I did.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 January 2015 - 09:52 AM.

#3 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:52 AM

Thank you very much - haha.  Was feeling a bit like Elmer Fudd.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

How big are your mailboxes? Large .pst files are known to degrade performance in Outlook. If your mailbox is a few gigabytes in size, that will slow down the application.

Another possibility is network issues. If the Exchange server where your mailbox resides doesn't have a good connection to the Internet, that can also slow down performance.

You didn't mention your operating system. If you are using Outlook for Mac, there are known issues like the ones you describe, especially if the mailbox is large.

Just some observations off the top of my head...

#5 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:09 PM

I apologize!!  I never recieved a notification of your message and went on to find out why I hadn't heard from anyone.  I don't think my mailbox is causing it, but would certainly be willing to check it - I'm not sure how.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2015 - 07:56 PM

If you open Outlook, click on the File tab in the upper left. It will tell you how big your mailbox is, and how much free space you have left on it.

Are you connecting to an Exchange server? Or are you using something like Yahoo or Gmail?

#7 cook2465

cook2465
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:16 AM

Is this topic still open??  I have not been able to dedicate any time until now to this issue.  In the meantime, as I have talked to ppl and had some unrelated issues it was suggested to check and make sure that i didn't have any outdated drivers check my registry for issues and check if there are any missing or corrupted files to make sure that there was nothing messed with when i had a really bad cracktool that my son 'accidentally' downloaded.  I know for sure that my system is clean and free of any bugs.  Is this something you are able to help me with or do I need to post someplace else.  Thre are a lot of programs out there, but so many cost money and although i'm not opposed if it is necessary, if it is something I either can do myself with some coaching or there is a reliable program for free that can help me I would prefer that.

As for the Outlook - I never answered your question:  I have a regular outlook account (my personal email) and my business email is connected to outlook via OL Exchange which might be the problem.  Some days are better than others.

Thank you for your patience!

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,164 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

Yes, it's still open. :)

What version/year of OL Exchange are you using? Is it a hosted Exchange service? What version of Outlook are you using? And what operating system are you running.

You can try going to Control Panel> Programs, click on Outlook and select the repair option. It may prompt you for the installation disk, so make sure you have that. You can also open a command prompt, by typing cmd in the Search bar of the Start menu, and then enter sfc /scannow at the command line. If you get a message that system file checker found some files it couldn't repair, post back.

As for the registry, I do NOT recommend using a registry cleaner. They are, by and large, snake oil and can cause more problems than they solve. Unless you know what you are doing, I recommend leaving the registry alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users