Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:24 AM

Hi,

I have two computers in my house, 1 running Windows7, and 1 running Windows 8.1 plus 1 HP Deskjet wireless printer . Access to internet is via a wireless router.

My question is "Can both computers use the printer independently via the router", or does 1 computer be required to be "Host Computer" and therefore permanently on at all times.

At present I am having trouble getting the "Windows 8 computer to print. 

Thank you

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garioch7

garioch7

RCMP Veteran

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,840 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:30 AM

If both computers are configured correctly to address the wireless printer directly, only the computer that wants to print needs to be turned on, to the best of my knowledge.  Are you getting any error messages when trying to print from the Windows 8.1 computer?

Are the print jobs queuing up?  Look under Devices and Printers.  This sounds to me like a configuration issue with the Windows 8.1 computer.  Does it have the correct IP address and password?

Let us know how you make out.  Hope this  helps.  Have a great day.

Regards,

-Phil

Member of the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

#3 TheSteeZ

TheSteeZ

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Yes both computers will be able to use the printer. The printer would be configured just like a network printer. In the settings on the actual printer when you have it hooked up to your wireless internet you can assign it a static IP address and use the default port. Then when you go to your printer/devices and add a printer you can look for the printer by that IP address and port. The printer will be completely independent not like a usb printer connected to a PC. In that case it would have to be a shared printer through that pc via a homegroup and that would be the "primary" computer.

-Steve

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users