Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Space Decreasing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

So recently starting around on January ‎16, ‎2015, my hard drive space was starting to decrease. My computer is a Dell Inspirion One 19, and it runs a 64-bit version of Windows 7. I also got the computer around August 2010.

My computer had around 232 GB before the problem started, but it's now down to 200 GB as of now as seen by this image. It kept going down from then on. I used CCleaner, but it gave me back just 5 GB, and it went away after that. I tried to get rid of the problem with Avast, Malwarebytes and TDSSKiller, but they didn't help at all. I'm having a similar problem to what these guys had.  I also tried WinDirStat before, but I couldn't seem to find the problem. I can however show you some images of it on my computer if you like.

On January ‎11, ‎2015, I brought back my computer to college after winter break, and while on the trip, the computer fell down a bit, but I caught it with my hand before it could hit the floor of the truck, so I don't know if that damaged it or not. But it might not be that since my computer didn't suffer many symptoms you would get from a damaged hard drive.

So what could be the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:02 AM

Hello and Welcome -

Please do not be offended, but to guide you to a similar topic, you must try and produce a few logs, and read below ........

The mentioned post is in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in the general Windows area, and handled by Experts.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running DDS which will create two logs. Note: Windows 8.1 Users will not be able run   DDS and create a log     Mod Edit:  Prep Guide now modified to request FRST logs, DDS is part of the past - Hamluis.

When you have done that, Copy and Paste your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs or you're using Windows 8.1, then still start the new topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one, to prevent others answering incorrectly.

Thank You -

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#3 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

Run this tool so we can see what might be on your system

https://windirstat.info/

After the scan is complete, press F9 to hide the treemap.  Send us a screenshot of the results

I'm willing to bet you have a large winsxs folder inside Windows and a even larger profile.

Do you edit any audio / video?  Are you downloading any large files?

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#4 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

Run this tool so we can see what might be on your system

https://windirstat.info/

After the scan is complete, press F9 to hide the treemap.  Send us a screenshot of the results

I'm willing to bet you have a large winsxs folder inside Windows and a even larger profile.

Do you edit any audio / video?  Are you downloading any large files?

I did another scan with WinDirStat, and here are the results.

I did find 8.7 GB used in the folder winsxs, but it was last updated 12/11/2014.

I also edit some audio files with the program Audacity, as most of the time I use it to clip out extra science in some audio clips. I also made some videos with Windows Live Movie Maker, but I delete the videos and the new files I make for the videos off my computer after I upload the final product to YouTube. I downloaded some files that are usually between 1 MB and 10 MB, but that's most likely not the case since I didn't download enough of files around that size to lose all of that space on my hard drive all of a sudden.

Also, my hard drive space hasn't dropped any space today as it remains at 200 GB. I'll also do what noknojon told me to do if I can't find out the true problem in WinDirStat.

It could also be that the free space reaming display is wrong, as about 32 GB disappeared over the past few days with no apparent reason. If that's the case, then what should I do then?

#5 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 02:59 AM

I already see a huge amount of space being used in your users folder, probably your own profile.  - 73 GB (37% of your HD)

I'm betting that all your editing tools and temp files are filling up.  Expand out the USERS folder and drill into it to see where the files are at.  If you want, send us another pic once you expanded the path if you have any questions.

This is exactly why I hate how Windows is setup to use the appdata folder for everything in your profile.  I make a folder named Temp on c:\ and move my temp files there (ie, Chrome, System, User, etc)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

Download/run TFC .

When it completes, run the chkdsk /r command.

Chkdsk From Command Prompt, Win 7 - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496613/contextmenu-is-causing-explorerexe-to-crash/?p=3067880

If you are running System Restore, you can expect the amount of free space to be dynamic, rather than staticl.

Louis

#7 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:38 AM

I already see a huge amount of space being used in your users folder, probably your own profile.  - 73 GB (37% of your HD)

I'm betting that all your editing tools and temp files are filling up.  Expand out the USERS folder and drill into it to see where the files are at.  If you want, send us another pic once you expanded the path if you have any questions.

This is exactly why I hate how Windows is setup to use the appdata folder for everything in your profile.  I make a folder named Temp on c:\ and move my temp files there (ie, Chrome, System, User, etc)

According to this image, the majority of space of the Users folder comes from the Music folder in the sub-user folder, but I add a lot of music to my computer which means that's no surprise. Then there's this image, that shows the majority of space of the Windows folder is in the winsxs folder.

Also, my hard drive space is now at 194 GB as of now, but the 6 GB disappeared so suddenly that I didn't download and keep anything that was 6 GB. Even WinDirStart still says there's about 200 GB left. So maybe there's also a display glitch going on.

I'll still have to do what noknojon to do, and I might also have to try what hamluis suggested.

#8 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:35 AM

The WinSxS gets bloated because it's MS's way of backing up system files.  See http://www.howtogeek.com/174705/how-to-reduce-the-size-of-your-winsxs-folder-on-windows-7-or-8/

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askpfeplat/archive/2013/10/08/breaking-news-reduce-the-size-of-the-winsxs-directory-and-free-up-disk-space-with-a-new-update-for-windows-7-sp1-clients.aspx

Basically all updates get backed up to the WinSxS folder in case you need to uninstall a patch or an application.  In looking at your image, it doesn't look bloated yet.  8 gigs isn't that bad but you can run the cleanup tool if you need to.

It's clear to me that you Program files (x86) & your profile are using all your space (90 & 74 GB = 164GB alone).  You are going to have to look into why those are so large and decide what to do with that.  If you decide you need all those files / apps, then I'd consider replacing the HD with a 2-6 TB (yes TB) HD, install a 2nd HD, or use a USB HD.  FYI, 2 TB HD's are less then $100 US.  Pretty cheap now.

Use the temp file cleaner is not the solution.  You have large amounts of data & programs.

Checking your HD to make sure it's ok is a good idea.  But you shouldn't need to do it often.

Scanning your HD for viruses is also a good idea.  

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,362 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

You should do what noknojon has suggested in post #2.  He was very specific in his suggestion to post a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, as apposed to the the Am I Infected forum.  There are tools which can not be used in the Am I Infected forum which may be needed to resolve this problem.  The members addressing topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum are Malware Response Team members.  These members are highly trained in the use of the tools used there.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 NiTROACTiVE

NiTROACTiVE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

You should do what noknojon has suggested in post #2.  He was very specific in his suggestion to post a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, as apposed to the the Am I Infected forum.  There are tools which can not be used in the Am I Infected forum which may be needed to resolve this problem.  The members addressing topic in the Malware Removal Logs forum are Malware Response Team members.  These members are highly trained in the use of the tools used there.

Sorry for the lack of activity in this thread, I was busy with college. I'll do what noknojon suggested ASAP.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

Topic closed to avoid confusion...moved post with FRST to MRL forum, please pursue that topic, http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566392/hard-drive-space/ .

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2015 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users