Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows 10 will be a free upgrade in the US

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:31 AM

heard it on the radio as I was driving to work. Free from win7 and up. the reason bein everyone hates their new desktop.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2015 - 07:17 AM.
Moved from Linux/Unix to Win 10 - Hamluis.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

buddy215 already made a thread with the article stating that, here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563961/its-free-for-a-yearfor-win-7-8-and-81-users/

Also, it looks like it will be free for every Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 users worldwide, not just in the United States :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 AAE32

AAE32

• Banned
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

If it were only in U.S it would be racist.

#4 tberty

tberty

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

It's not only available for U.S users, it's available worldwide but there was a limited that enterprise users like Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise aren't allowed to get this free upgrade. So, no free upgrade for Microsoft enterprise users.

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:41 AM

Most likely because of how Entreprise volume licensing works.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 03:21 AM

Yea when it comes to Enterprise licenses it gets a bit tricky. Windows 8 is one license and Windows 8.1 is another license.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 05:52 AM

Yea when it comes to Enterprise licenses it gets a bit tricky. Windows 8 is one license and Windows 8.1 is another license.

So if you buy Windows 8 Entreprise, you cannot really upgrade to Windows 8.1 Entreprise for free via the Windows Store, or they make you agree to a new contract?

unite_blue.png

#8 Go The Power

Go The Power

• BC Advisor
  • 525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:34 PM

Honestly, I am not to sure about the costing side of things. But they both have there own KMS keys https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj612867.aspx no other versions or SP upgrades changed KMS keys.

this link explains that for Enterprise Editions the upgrade is not available in the store.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/why-can-t-find-update-store

For Enterprise users (should say Enterprise Admins, as you should never see an Enterprise system outside an organisation) https://www.microsoft.com/Licensing/servicecenter/default.aspx

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

I skimmed through the links quickly and it all seems related to the volume licensing and the contract. Another headache for the system admins supporting Entreprise in their company. We use Professional at ours, not Entreprise.

unite_blue.png

#10 mikejohnlen

mikejohnlen

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 13 March 2015 - 01:45 AM

hello Friends,

I read also this windows 10 is free upgrade for windows 7 and windows8 but i didn't get any upgrade as i am using windows 7.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2015 - 05:27 AM

Hi mikejohnlen :)

Windows 10 is still in a technical preview phase, so everyone can upgrade for free right now. Be aware that this isn't an official release yet, the official release for Windows 10 is somewhere around Fall 2015. For now, Windows 10 still have bugs and glitches that are being fixed as they are reported to Microsoft by the users that test the OS. I suggest you to not use it unless you know what you're doing and that you know how to troubleshoot your own issues.

unite_blue.png

#12 BenjaminGordonT

BenjaminGordonT

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 14 March 2015 - 09:38 AM

Does this sound to anyone like Windows 10 will be subscription based? By saying Windows 10 will be free for 1 year they are implying that either people can upgrade to Windows 10 between Fall 2015 and Fall 2016 then whoever didn't upgrade has to buy it, OR, Windows 10 will be subscription based meaning that you get 1 year of updates and support or maybe a 1 year license for 1 year before you either have to buy it, or downgrade your operating system, and knowing Microsoft it will likely be a pain in the butt to downgrade. I really think the reason they are doing this is to get more people to use the Windows App Store. From what I hear they have a good deal of apps on it and they probably make a healthy profit on all of them. As for Windows Enterprise, my guess is that the majority of businesses won't care whether they have Windows 8 or Windows 10, after all, about 75% of all businesses still use Windows XP or Windows 7, how's that for old.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,203 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:42 AM

Windows 10 will not be subscription based, as posted by Platypus there:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564556/will-you-be-upgrading-to-windows-10-during-its-free-for-a-year-phase/page-3#entry3653838

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users