Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

web cam stopped working on this xp, still works on others

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bluffwood

bluffwood

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:52 PM

XP Media edition 2002 sp3

webcam (Creative) stopped working suddenly a month or so ago. Driver support not available.

But I plugged it into another newly reloaded xp machine, and it worked without any special drivers...

Sometimes it shows (under my computer,below the last drive, but the picture is all black) and mostly it doesn't, giving me just a usb error unknown device (below).  Did a full disinfect found a rootkit and lots of adware. Is there such a thing as a usb stack that can be blown away and rebuilt?

I appreciate any help here...usb_zps32277c0e.png

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2015 - 01:40 PM.
Moved from XP to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:58 AM

Open the Start menu, find Command Prompt (under Accessories or System Tools?), right click it and select Run as Administrator (or something close to that), at the command prompt type SFC /SCANNOW and press Enter. Alternatively you can try Microsoft's System Restore found under System Tools and go back to a check point before the malware infection but if you don't know when that was then you might restore the malware. Also, while cleaning up the malware the System Restore check points may have been deleted or corrupted so using System Restore might not work.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:41 PM

Before you worry about why your web-cam isn't working - are you sure that your computer is clear of malware ?

The first priority in any situation like this is to get your computer clean before you worry about anything else. If you are certain you are clean can you put a post here saying so. If you are not certain, then start a topic in 'Am I infected?' and put a post here saying that you have done that, then I will close this topic. Once you are clean of malware then you will be most welcome to start another topic on the problem of your web-cam.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

Before you worry about why your web-cam isn't working - are you sure that your computer is clear of malware ?

The first priority in any situation like this is to get your computer clean before you worry about anything else. If you are certain you are clean can you put a post here saying so. If you are not certain, then start a topic in 'Am I infected?' and put a post here saying that you have done that, then I will close this topic. Once you are clean of malware then you will be most welcome to start another topic on the problem of your web-cam.

Chris Cosgrove

not sure of much.

the sfc /scannow requires the original DVD and I don't have them handy.
I get some particularly irritating ads that pop up on new copies of firefox.

I've run malwarebytes, and scan regularly with avast free.

However this thread came FROM Am I infected already. A bunch of scans have been run (but the ads still occur).

Edited by bluffwood, 31 January 2015 - 01:23 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 06:17 PM

OK - try this. RIGHT click on the 'Unknown device' entries in turn and in the pop-up menu that appears choose 'Uninstall'. Then re-boot your computer and Windows will rebuild them as it boots.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 bluffwood

bluffwood
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:01 PM

Thanks Chris,

I had tried that multiple times, without good results. I have a fair number of usb devices and they don't all behave well, including two quite different tom tom GPSs.  Using task manager, I simply deleted them and the service that goes with them, and a few other processes I knew were safe to delete, and plugged in the camera, and now it works great.

In fact, I just completed a skype call.

I'll keep a close eye on this and see if I can determine the cause of this. I know when I reboot, all those processes will automatically restart (and I know how to remove them from startup, once I determine which one is the problem process -- if in fact my camera issue was caused by a process ).

Please leave this ticket open for a week.

OK - try this. RIGHT click on the 'Unknown device' entries in turn and in the pop-up menu that appears choose 'Uninstall'. Then re-boot your computer and Windows will rebuild them as it boots.

Chris Cosgrove

#7 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 01 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

bluffwood: " ..the sfc /scannow requires the original DVD and I don't have them handy.
I get some particularly irritating ads that pop up on new copies of firefox. .."

You can tweak some registry settings so a DVD isn't needed but using a DVD is better if you can find one. If you use a DVD then the files come from a source that wasn't involved in the malware infection. Files from your hard drive used to repair problems found by SFC might be ok but I wouldn't be surprised if there is malware that can change those files too.

I didn't see your earlier thread in the other forum so the following may be redundant. Check Firefox's extensions. With Firefox open, press the Alt key to see the menu across the top of the window, open the Tools menu, select Add-ons, in the column on the left hand side of the window select Extensions. You might have an extension installed that's generating advertisements. Check the home page and default search engine for Firefox. Normally a changed home page and search engine wouldn't generate adverts but changing those back to something that isn't dodgy is often overlooked by antimalware programs. Check the list of installed programs in Windows' Control Panel. If you have further questions about this then probably best to ask them in the Am I Infected? forum.

Good that you found a way to make your camera work.

Edited by Windont, 01 February 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:12 PM

Purely for information, topics on BC are not normally closed.

Situations where topics are closed occur when the discussion has got out of hand in the sense of insulting remarks flying around and where there has been a gross breach of forum rules.  The other common situation occurs where there have been several replies to a topic and then it is decided that the cause is, say, malware. Rather than move a lengthy topic to 'Am I infected?' the OP will often be asked to start a new topic there, referring to the original topic, and the original topic will be locked to prevent confusion.

So, if you want to come back to this in a week or two, feel free. Six months or a year down the line ?  Better to start a new topic and, if possible, include a reference to the earlier one.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:40 PM

I had issues with one of my lap top cams, it worked but spotty, Manycam was suggested here on BC.  I down loaded a copy it has been fine ever since, not sure if it will help you but IMO worth a try.  

http://manycam.com/

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users