Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure If Hard-drive is Failing

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Groffeaston

Groffeaston

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

Hello,

I have been having problems with my computer ever since I got it! First it was Virus, Malware and Slow Dial up internet access!  I had problems removing a couple of the malware and one of the viruses. and had problems with programs interfering with each other!  Eventually I got High Speed Internet access.  I have done a re-install of Windows Vista, Reformatted my Hard-drive, done a "Factory condition Reset" a few times, and many other things! 

I recently began having problems with my one Yahoo email account, every time I would enter it my web-browser would freeze and my computer would freeze. Then I tried a different web-browser and the same thing would happen, I tried another web-browser and same thing happened! Then Different websites began to cause the web-browser to freeze, crash and the computer to freeze.   So I checked my other email accounts to see if it happened with them. Nope it did not, at first! but then later It began to happen with my other Yahoo email account also!

So, I thought maybe I had a virus, Malware, or had been hacked! So I ran several different scans, nothing showed up except cookies! I tried deleting the cookies, deleting my web-browsers histories, Clearing my web-browsers caches, clearing my computers cache, De-fragmenting my hard drive a couple of times, and deleting some files I do not use, are old, etc. Still no help! SO I can on here and created 2 different topics, 1 was to see if a malware or virus was possibly infecting my computer. and the other was to see if an old infection could be causing the problem. The one person who was helping me thinks it might be my Hard Drive is Failing! How ever when I ran one scan that is with "Defraggler" to check the Hard Drive It says the hard drive is fine and in "Good Health", But when I did another scan with another program; I do not remember if it was a few weeks ago, a few months ago or a few years ago or all of the them, It showed that the hard drive was showing signs of failing!

I am so damned confused now! I have been told my hard drive is failing, had scans that have told me my hard drive is failing, But now I have a scan telling me my hard drive is fine!

My questions are:  Which of the scans do I believe; The ones that said My hard drive is failing or the one that said my hard drive is fine? How can I truly determine if my hard drive is failing? 

How old is my computer? Bought it May 2007. 

My computer: Dell Dimension E521

Hard Drive:  ST316081 2AS SCSI  drive device   Manufacturer:  Standard disk drives:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Dell's have a diagnostic program that can be accessed by tapping F12 at boot. Can you access this diagnostic utility?

#3 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:06 PM

Yes! Here is what it said:

ST3160812AS - Pass

TSST Corp DVD +/- RW T  Diagnostics not supported

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:56 AM

You can verify the pass by downloading Gsmartcontrol. Do the short and long test. Post the log.

#5 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:56 PM

I tried running the scans, but I received an error message saying: "Cannot run Short Self-test  Sending command failed."   "Cannot run Extended Self-test Sending command failed." 

Here is the log that It created:

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-vista-sp2] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright © 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Seagate Barracuda 7200.9
Device Model:     ST3160812AS
Serial Number:    [No Information Found]
Firmware Version: 3.AD
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   [No Information Found]
ATA Standard is:  [No Information Found]
Local Time is:    Thu Jan 22 20:39:23 2015 EST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
                  Enabled status cached by OS, trying SMART RETURN STATUS cmd.
SMART support is: Enabled

Error SMART Thresholds Read failed: Function not implemented
Smartctl: SMART Read Thresholds failed.

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)    Offline data collection activity
                    was completed without error.
                    Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      (  22)    The self-test routine was aborted by
                    the host.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:         (  430) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:              (0x5b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                    Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                    Suspend Offline collection upon new
                    command.
                    Offline surface scan supported.
                    Self-test supported.
                    No Conveyance Self-test supported.
                    Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)    Saves SMART data before entering
                    power-saving mode.
                    Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)    Error logging supported.
                    No General Purpose Logging support.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (  54) minutes.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000f   111   100   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003   094   094   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   094   094   ---    Old_age   Always       -       6182
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000f   087   060   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       603341659
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   078   078   ---    Old_age   Always       -       19272
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   ---    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   094   094   ---    Old_age   Always       -       6618
187 Reported_Uncorrect      0x0032   100   100   ---    Old_age   Always       -       0
189 High_Fly_Writes         0x003a   100   100   ---    Old_age   Always       -       0
190 Airflow_Temperature_Cel 0x0022   063   058   ---    Old_age   Always       -       37 (Min/Max 25/37)
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   037   042   ---    Old_age   Always       -       37 (0 12 0 0 0)
195 Hardware_ECC_Recovered  0x001a   054   050   ---    Old_age   Always       -       9006026
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   ---    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x003e   200   200   ---    Old_age   Always       -       2
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0000   100   253   ---    Old_age   Offline      -       0
202 Data_Address_Mark_Errs  0x0032   100   253   ---    Old_age   Always       -       0

Error SMART Error Log Read failed: Function not implemented
Smartctl: SMART Error Log Read Failed
Error SMART Error Self-Test Log Read failed: Function not implemented
Smartctl: SMART Self Test Log Read Failed
Error SMART Read Selective Self-Test Log failed: Function not implemented
Smartctl: SMART Selective Self Test Log Read Failed

I am confused as all hell! The Main menu says SMART is available but yet in another spot it says it is not! Why is that?  Is there another program I can use?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

The manufacturer's diagnostic tools are here:

http://www.seagate.com/au/en/support/downloads/seatools/

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

You can run Seatools for Windows as Platypus linked to. But from the Gsmartcontrol log, it shows CRC errors. This is usually due to a bad SATA cable. There are not that many but keep an eye on that value and see if it increases.

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/item/seatools-win-master/

User Guide

#8 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

I encountered a Problem, The only drive that shows up is:   "USB-1394    Dell  USB Mass Storage"    My Hard drive should be listed as "Standard disk drive ST3160812AS" it is an SCSI type.   I have scanned and re-scanned several times, but it still does not show up! What the HECK is wrong?  Could it be picking up my wireless mouse in the USB port or the one external modem?  But still my Hard Drive should show up, even though I boot/start up the computer from it?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:37 PM

Not sure why that is. Your drive is SATA, not SCSI. That should be detected by Seatools for Windows. You can try Seatools for DOS. Burn the iso file and boot. You may have to change the BIOS from AHCI mode to IDE mode in order for Seatools for DOS to detect the drive. After the test, change it back before you boot Windows.

Seatools for DOS.

Tutorial

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:38 PM

A ST3160812AS is a SATA drive, as JohnC_21 mentioned, errors and odd misbehaviour is commonly caused by a bad connection on the interface - faulty SATA cable, bad or tarnished contact on plugs..

If Seatools finds the drive as a Firewire Mass Storage Device, can it access it and run any tests?

Edit: ha, cross posted! Seatools for DOS is a worthwhile idea.

Edited by Platypus, 23 January 2015 - 07:40 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#11 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:41 PM

DAMN! I forgot to save my previous post before I went to check on something!! :axe:    Oh Well I just have to say it all again! lol   That is a little to much for me, Change the BIOS settings, I am not sure how to do that and I do not want to make a mistake and cause more damage or make my computer un-operational! Also right now I do not have any money to have my computer checked out! I am waiting for my parents to get their taxes done and then get their refund so they can pay me back what they owe me for helping them out. I will probably use that $$$ to get a new computer!  So it looks like I have to put  up with a failing Hard-drive for a few weeks to a couple months, if it lasts that long!

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

If you only go by the SMART attributes that GsmartControl provided, the drive is good except for those two CRC errors. If you do not want to change anything in BIOS that is okay. Seatools for DOS may still be able to detect the drive. I would give it a try. If it does not detect your drive then don't bother changing the BIOS settings.

#13 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:13 PM

To run the Seatools for DOS, do I need to download that on a CD/DVD disc?  If so, How do I do that and will I have to "Format" the disc fiirst? All I ever done was Music from a CD and back onto a CD And made a "back-up" disc of another CD/DVD. I forget how to "Format" a CD/DVD. 

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,823 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

You do not have to format anything. The only thing you need is a software program that can burn an iso file to disk. I am not sure if Vista has it but with Windows 7 you can right click the iso file and select Burn Disk Image. If you do not have that option you can use a small program called isoburner to do it.

#15 Groffeaston

Groffeaston
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 521 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

Okay, Like I said it has been a while since I did anything like that! :hysterical:  I guess I forgot how to do it! :hysterical:  Now I just have to check and see if I have any Blank CD/DVD discs, I thought we did have some around here someplace, but not sure where they are.  They might have gotten buried under a lot of stuff. lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users