Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 will be a free upgrade for the first year after launch

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

At today's Windows 10 press event Terry Myerson, Microsoft's Executive Vice President of Operating Systems, announced that Windows 10 would be a free upgrade for all user's of Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade during the first year of launch. This is a significant move by Microsoft and aims to deliver the OS into as many hands as possible. This is especially profitable for coporations who typically take a long time to upgrade to new versions in order to ensure compatibility with legacy programs and procedures. By providing a free upgrade path, the cost savings may be to large for organizations to ignore.

windows-10.jpg ]

With Windows 8.1 not performing as well as Microsoft would have liked, will this be enough to finally persuade those Windows 7 stalwarts to upgrade? Only time will tell, but from what I have seen so far, Windows 10 is shaping up to be the next best Windows product.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

Very good news...takes away a lot of alibis and "reasons not to" from both corporate and individual grumbler's who think everything in life should be free and resist any normal progressive from "today" to "tomorrow".

Louis

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

Very good news...takes away a lot of alibis and "reasons not to" from both corporate and individual grumbler's who think everything in life should be free and resist any normal progressive from "today" to "tomorrow".

Louis

It always takes a lot of time in a company to move from one OS to another. I think the that for some company, its not an issue of cost, but of compatibility and putting a lot of people on the project since you have to do a lot of testing, packaging, deployments, debugging and this all over again. At least, where I work I know its like that :P Mostly for companies that uses home made programs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 chakotay2

chakotay2

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:23 PM

I hope that they allow people not only to upgrade for free, but that it accepts the bios keys in Windows 8 machines so that you can do a fresh install.

#5 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:43 PM

This is great news, but does anyone have a reference that can confirm this from Microsoft's site?

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,662 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:52 PM

This is great news, but does anyone have a reference that can confirm this from Microsoft's site?

Why do you need a confirmation if it was announced in a live presentation from a Microsoft official representative? :o

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Of course it was, but I missed the presentation because of my work. I can't find the information anywhere except third party, I just want confirmation from MS themselves. Hell, even if someones got a recording of the presentation that would suffice..

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

Of course it was, but I missed the presentation because of my work. I can't find the information anywhere except third party, I just want confirmation from MS themselves. Hell, even if someones got a recording of the presentation that would suffice..

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

#9 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 07:58 PM

Thanks!

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:05 PM

By the time our Windows 7 installations are no longer supported our current machines will also be obsolete. When we do buy new machines they will come with OS compatible hardware, and most likely Windows 10... the effect of this announcement is nil. A false gift, I'm not fooled.... That just for me with Win 7 machines. Others who upgrade from Win 8 will finally be getting the fully functional and configurable OS they paid for. Or will they? The signs look good that Win 10 will be a great release. I tend to think so.

If Microsoft announced free upgrades from XP, or free upgrades at EOL on Win 7... now that would be very different.

I certainly won't be adding new OS's to my domain until there is a greater reward than it being "free". Especially when I'm free to use the current secure systems that we paid for, and are known to be compatible with all our software and servers.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,252 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

Who decides what the supported lifetime of the device is? Microsoft is in a position where they can dictate to device manufacturers on how long a supported lifetime is.

They also mention the word service That is ringing alarm bells for me because things like that cost money, I smell subscription here.

Windows 7 are users are advised to think carefully before doing the switch.

Remember this " If it aint broke don't fix it"

Edited by NickAu, 21 January 2015 - 09:31 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#12 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Topic Starter

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:58 PM

My gut is they are going with the Apple approach of providing os updates. Not sure how they are going to do this as with apple they have strict control over the hardware used MacOS devices. MS does not have the same control.

#13 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:38 AM

So if you upgrade in the first year it's free for a year or?

#14 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:53 AM

So if you upgrade in the first year it's free for a year or?

Or until they change their minds - perhaps like the 30-day activation period of old, but extended to 365 days??

:wizardball: Wizard

#15 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:15 AM

According to the MS article and I Quote:

"This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost."

So pick a good device to upgrade to because once it dies....you're out of luck. Wonder what "supported lifetime of the device" means?

Edited by mralias518, 22 January 2015 - 08:15 AM.

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users