Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet only works after restart; I tried everything I know.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PoppaCon

PoppaCon

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

I'm trying to fix an issue someone's computer is having. I do what's probably considered lower level internet troubleshooting, computer building and repair in my community. This one has me stumped though. The internet works fine after they restart the computer, for an hour or two, then IE and Mozilla will quit. Chrome will continue working. All of the browsers are set to automatically detect settings, manual proxy or anything. The router is an arris tm502 G. The battery light on the front is not lit up; the power light is on.
     I tried running CMD and pinging google, then pinging 8.8.8.8, both got four replies so I'm not sure if it's a browser issue, a router issue (the router is old), or if it's something else completely. I dont have the computer model handy as it's at their house, but it's an all-in-one with wireless capability; the router is not wireless. I went to the router's IP and was not able to make any changes, but on the status page, it listed today's date and an Event listed that the battery was missing. As I stated, the router still worked regardless, for a little while. I left their house with the computer in Safe Mode with Networking, and he called (pretty upset) saying that the internet had failed again.

Finally, the other complaint they had was that the internet quit when the computer came out of sleep mode, so I set the hard drive to go to sleep after a few hours instead of 20 min. It lasted about 45 min. until the internet went out again. I'm going back tomorrow to see what I can do, but I would love a little help as this is pretty much the extent of my knowledge.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm lost at this point.
I'm a new member here, please be gentle.
Thanks in advance everyone.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

What type of internet  are they running.  Meaning DSL ADSL+ ethernet etc.?  What OS are they using?  Check the ethernet port on the computer and allow it to stay active when closed and wake from sleep 

Over all they might need a NEW router.  Contact their ISP for a list of devices that are recommended.  

Sounds like the routers cache is overloading, and when you reset it, it clears and your off in running.

I would first off save the settings of the router, and see if it needs a firmware update.

Next

if that does not work, check to see if the router is IPv6 compliant.  I know it sounds stupid but the ISPs are just changing it and not telling people.  If the ISP is using IPv6, then they should have IPv4 still.  Turn off IPv6 connections in Windows and just us IPv4.  That could help

Also sometimes (not saying all the time) the ISP could of reset the DNS server, and in that case you should reset your dns and re detect it

Hope I'm reading your post correct if not ill try to check back later

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users