Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bought a new computer before reading this forum, did I make a mistake?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jemakenna

jemakenna

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hello,

Forgive me if you've heard this kind of question before. I was in a bind as my HP 310-1020 Touchsmart "all in one" PC suddenly died, and I needed a replacement quickly (I had purchased the HP as open box deal for cheap, I did get about 3-4 good years out of it). It had an Athlon II processor and 4gb of RAM. It worked well for my purposes (email, ebay, youtube, online stuff).

Not knowing what to look for, and with a small budget, I opted for a "new" desktop this time. It's a cheap Acer Aspire from Costco, model TC-605, with an Intel I3-4150 processor and 4gb RAM.

I've been using this Acer PC for a month, and it seems just OK. What bugs me is online videos (youtube, etc.) seem pretty clear but kind of "choppy". Not as good as my old HP all in one. I thought for sure with the newer processor, etc., this new PC would at least be as good as the HP.

Did I make a bad choice? If so, can I upgrade this PC to improve it, or do I just have to live with it as-is? Mostly it seems fine, I'm just a bit disappointed how it handles online videos. I really just wanted something off the shelf that "works", if you know what I mean. Any guidance, advice or criticism of my choice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Try updating Adobe Flash Player, hopefully that can improve the online videos

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:53 AM

Your problem is that cheap and performance don't go together.  Updating Flash Player as mauguilar suggested is one thing you can do.  Updating the video and sound drivers would be another.  While the PC is new, it most likely doesn't have the latest software installed.

#4 jemakenna

jemakenna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

Thanks for the replies, sorry I couldn't get back to the forum sooner to say thanks.

mauguilar--thank you, I will try that

Kilroy--how would I find out if I am able to update video and/or sound drivers, is there a way I can check my computer specs to see if that can be done? Thanks again.

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:34 PM

Your PC sounds quite nice to me based on the specs on Acer's site. Are you watching high quality videos (eg: 1080p), or just typical quality stuff? When you say "choppy" are you meaning it seems like it's dropping frames?

- As others have suggested, update Adobe Flash Player. To do this open your Control Panel, type "flash", click "Flash Player (32-bit)", click the "Advanced" tab, click "Check Now". Alternatively just visit the Adobe Flash Player page on the Adobe.com website, and install it.
- You might also try running a lower screen resolution on your monitor if you currently have it set really high. You can do this by going to your Control Panel clicking "Adjust screen resolution" and then choosing a lower resolution from the drop down menu.
- I would also suggest you take a look in your NVIDIA control panel to see if you can change any settings to improve performance. I do not have a NVIDIA card so I cannot advise you on that or even guess at what settings are available. I did find this ( http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/347.25/347.25-nvidia-control-panel-quick-start-guide.pdf ) pdf in the support area for the NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 which discusses using the Nvidia control panel. You would want to look for any changes that improve performance by reducing quality.

- Updating to the latest drivers for your NVIDIA card may also help. To do so visit the nvidia.com website, and download them. You can see what version you have already by opening a Command Prompt, type "msinfo32", in the components section click "display", and in the section for you graphics card look for "Driver version". Depending on the computer you may already have Nvidia's automatic updating program installed.

#6 jemakenna

jemakenna
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2015 - 02:18 PM

Dear Hollowface,

Thank you so much for your detailed response, I really appreciate it! I will look into the items you mentioned. I did update Adobe Flash and that does seem to help. I'm mostly watching normal quality stuff, not 1080p or anything. By "choppy", I mean not smooth, kind of jerky movements. And I do have the screen set to highest resolution, hadn't thought of trying to lower it, I will try that as well. Thanks again!

#7 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:31 AM

I'm not familiar with how Acer supplies their updates, but you should be able to go to their site, look for a support link and be able to download the latest drivers from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users