Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Take Ownership.reg

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:27 PM

HI Everyone,

I just upgraded to Win 8.1 and no longer have access to everything so I am wanting to run the Add_Take_Ownership.reg but wanted to make sure it would not cause problems.

I had ran it on my Win 8 and I am in no way saying that doing so caused any problems, but I did have a few problems with the operating system, thus the reformat and install of 8.1. I do not have any reason to believe that having used the Add_Take_Ownership.reg and taking ownership of folders caused those problems, but nobody knows what did cause the problems I had so before doing this on my clean install I thought I would ask here.

Does anyone think there would be any reason not to run the Add_Take_Ownership.reg on a system with an SSD drive running Win 8.1?

Also, are there any folders I should not take ownership of?

I read somewhere that one should not take ownership of anything in the Windows folder, anyone agree or disagree?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me with this,

I am off to work now but will check this thread when I get home tonight.

Thanks again and I hope you are all having a great day.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:30 PM

Hi Stang777 :)

Adding the official "TakeOwnership" context menu to the Registry isn't harmful in any way, it's how you use it. May I ask why you need to take ownership of certain files and folders? In which situation? Also, you can use the Registry script from HowToGeek, works perfectly fine:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:07 AM

Hi,

You can add the following file to the register.

Registry File
Pleas note: Make first a back-up of your register and use of this attachment is own risk!

Attached Files

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:32 AM

You can also do this with Ultimate Windows Tweaker 3, a pretty good clone of TweakUI.

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:01 AM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your replies and input.

I want access to all the files on my system because it is my system, it is as simple as that. I want control over my system and I want to know what is on it.

I have found that on Win8 there are way tioo many folders that block access to even those with an administrator account and I just find that unacceptable. It even denies access to the documents and settings folder and the application data folder in the users folder, as well as sooo many other folders that it bugs the crap out of me. I cannot see if something gets changed if I cannot see in the folder at any point in time. I also cannot see if there is something I want or need in one of those folders if I cannot access it. There were things that were saved from my previous win install that I am trying to see if I need to keep, but I cannot see inside the folders, but, the bottom line is, it is my system and I want access to it.

Jager, that is exactly the file I would be using, well, almost the exact. I would be using the one to add it to the middle of the contest menu.

JWebb, that looks like a good program too.

Thank you everyone. I wanted to make sure that using this would not harm anything. Win8/8.1 is just so different than the previous versions of windows, and I have been told that there are things one could do just fine on the older type disks that one should not do on one that is a SSD that I wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing up by doing this.

#6 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:19 AM

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

I want access to all the files on my system because it is my system, it is as simple as that. I want control over my system and I want to know what is on it.

I have found that on Win8 there are way tioo many folders that block access to even those with an administrator account and I just find that unacceptable. It even denies access to the documents and settings folder and the application data folder in the users folder, as well as sooo many other folders that it bugs the crap out of me. I cannot see if something gets changed if I cannot see in the folder at any point in time. I also cannot see if there is something I want or need in one of those folders if I cannot access it. There were things that were saved from my previous win install that I am trying to see if I need to keep, but I cannot see inside the folders, but, the bottom line is, it is my system and I want access to it.

My thoughts exactly.  It's my computer, Microsoft, not yours.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:29 AM

Thank you everyone, I appreciate your replies and input.

Jager, that is exactly the file I would be using, well, almost the exact. I would be using the one to add it to the middle of the contest menu.

JWebb, that looks like a good program too.

Thank you everyone. I wanted to make sure that using this would not harm anything. Win8/8.1 is just so different than the previous versions of windows, and I have been told that there are things one could do just fine on the older type disks that one should not do on one that is a SSD that I wanted to make sure I wasn't screwing up by doing this.

Did you ever consider why you don't have access to certain folders? Maybe because there's nothing for you in there or you don't have any use for them? As for the AppData folder you don't need Admin Rights to access it, at all. If you didn't had access to AppData in your previous installation and had to use TakeOwnership on it in order to access it, then you had a permission issue as this isn't the default behavior of that folder. The C:\Documents and Settings folder is a "junction point", a symbolic link used by programs designed for Windows XP, nothing more, nothing less. It's a shortcut that points back to Users for the programs that wants to install files and folders in Documents and Settings. So there's nothing "hidden" in there.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 06:57 AM

Thank you Aura for your reply and input. Just to clarify, it isn't the app data folder I was talking about, that one allows access, the one I mentioned is the application data folder, that is the one I don't, and never have had, access to.

Btw folks, I did discover that taking ownership of the application data folder is a very bad idea. Windows needs to own that one in order to be able to make changes to it to have things work correctly.

What I would really like to have is the ability to see all my files without taking ownership away from Windows, does anyone know if that is possible?

Again, thank you everyone for your input and help.

Edited by Stang777, 24 January 2015 - 06:59 AM.

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

You can easily see all your files without taking ownership of any files Stang :) Go in your Folder Options, under the View tab and check Show hidden files, folders and drives then uncheck Hide protected operating system files (recommended) (accept the warning message that will prompt). This way, you'll be able to see every hidden files on your system AND every system files on it. If a file doesn't show up with both these options enabled, it's because it doesn't exist.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#10 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:21 AM

Hi Aura,

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I never saw a notification that there had been a reply made after my last post.

Thank you, but what you described does not work for seeing inside folders where access is denied.

I always have my system set up to show all files, including the hidden ones, but that does not give access to all of the folders. The folder is there, it can be seen, but when one tries to open it, it gives the access is denied message, therefore, you cannot see what is inside of it. You cannot even see how much disk space it is using.

Edited by Stang777, 29 January 2015 - 04:22 AM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

What is the name of that folder and it's location (path)?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#12 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:10 AM

One of them is c:/programdata/application data

Another one is c:/documents and settings

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:25 AM

Re-read my explanation in post #7. There's nothing in these files. They are just symbolic links that redirects to C:\Users\$USERNAME\AppData and C:\Users\$USERNAME. Simple as that. You don't need access to these folders, there's nothing hidden in them and you'll just end up being redirected.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#14 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Thank you, but I was able to open the applicationdata folder after taking ownership and there was stuff in there.

I also found that taking ownership of that folder was a bad thing to do as it messed up many things on my system.

I undid what I had done so I no longer have access to that folder, but it bugs me that I do not have it as there is stuff in there.

So all it is doing is redirecting to the folders you said, ok, but access is denied for that folder that it redirects to.

Access to the C:\Users\$USERNAME\ApplicationData folder is denied.

Edited by Stang777, 30 January 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#15 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:16 PM

Why do I need this file?  C:\Windows\Help\en-US\credits.rtf

Will deleting it crash the OS?  8.1 is littered with junk like this and dozens of foreign language files.

It's MY computer, not Microsoft's.

Edited by JWebb, 30 January 2015 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users