Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer turns off(Kind of)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hrolsons

hrolsons

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

So I have something strange happening.

I have a computer at work and the screens are blank, but I can see that the computer is on.  All LED lights are on and when I remove the cover I can see that the hard drives are spinning and power is on the motherboard.  I look on the network and can't see this computer.

I unplug the computer and then plug it back in and everything works fine.  24 hours later, same thing.

I looked in the event log and all it logs as 'critical' is a 41-kernel Power at the timestamp when I do a hard reboot.

Any ideas on where to start?

P.S.  This office flooded last week and this computer got wet.  Dried out slowly and everything appeared to be working correctly.  Did Memtest with success.

Edited by hamluis, 22 January 2015 - 03:21 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:43 PM

Have you reviewed the power settings?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

I think the problem cause is overheating. So, check your hardware status through hardware monitoring software. Probably, then it will make it easier to solve it.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

You mentioned that you took the cover off, so I'm assuming that this is a desktop computer?

If it is, have you tried a monitor which is known to be in working order?

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

From what you have posted I don't see any indication that the problem is heat related.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

Power savings is set to never turn anything off.  I'll run hwmonitor and Seagate disk tools and see if they come up with anything.

#6 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

This computer got wet says enough.  Time to replace it.  Never trust a PC after it got wet.  Also, as a business standard, you never put any PC on the floor because these things happen all too often.  

There are any number of shorts or faults that may be happening on the system.  You will never be able to track it down.  As this is a company PC, it should be under warranty or you should have a replacement policy in place for these issues.

You are wasting too much time trying to fix this.  Replace it and move on to something you can fix.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

@dinodod

If they were able to successfully run Memtest86 I would be inclined to disagree with you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Memtest86 only tests the memory.  It is not a full scale MOBO test that only the manufacturer can perform.  It does not test any other devices such as Video / USB / VGA / DVI / HDMI / Voltage / etc.  Any serious drop / spike on the +/- voltage rails can cause unpredictable results.  Data transfer issues on the North and South data buses.  A capacitor on the MOBO could have popped.  A transistor could be faulty from a voltage spike.  I could go on and on.  But in short, there are just too many variables you can not verify.

If this was a personal PC, I'd say remove all addons and test the PC for awhile then install 1 addon at a time until you believe you found the issue.  Do a full test of the HD using the manufacturer's HD testing utility.  But this is a company PC and turnaround is critical.  

Edited by dinodod, 22 January 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#9 hrolsons

hrolsons
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

And then the computer worked all morning and my employee took a break and after 9 minutes on non-use it turned off like it did in my original post where it looks like the computer is running fine but no signal gets to the monitor and I can't see it on the network.  

#10 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

It sounds like it's going to sleep in 10 minutes and is not waking up.  Lots of articles on the net:  In the properties of the NIC, disable the option to allow the PC to power down the device.  Does this allow you to see the PC on the network when it goes down?

Look over your power options and see what is getting activated in 10 minutes.

Run powercfg -a and give us the results.  You might be able to go from S3 to S1 via the system BIOS as a test.

Different sleep levels

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff564575(v=vs.85).aspx

Force the computer to sleep and see if you can replicate the issue.

Update the NIC / Monitor (Yes Monitor) and video card drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users