Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reseting BIOS allows computer to boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Milks

Milks

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

My desktop computer will not boot into Windows.  

I can make it boot into Windows, by first re-entering the BIOS and resetting it.

I can make this problem occur if I unplug the computer for 60 seconds.  The computer remembers the current date and time so I'm guessing the BIOS battery is working.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

More about my problem: 

The message I get when I turn the computer back on is "Reboot and Select proper Boot device.  Or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

The computer I have is an HP desktop, model: p6654y.

Help!

#3 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:56 PM

One other clue:  The last message the BIOS displays (before the error) is "00 USB mass storage devices found and configured".  After that, all of the lines of text on the screen move up one level and then the screen goes black and soon after I get the Proper Boot Device error.

#4 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:13 AM

Another symptom:

Sometimes if I restart the computer (without unplugging it from the power first) I still get the Proper Boot Device error.

Edited by Milks, 22 January 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2015 - 05:29 PM

Replace the CMOS battery with a new one...that would be my choice of action.

Louis

#6 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2015 - 03:44 PM

Thank you for the suggestion.  I did this, but it didn't help.

The one consistent thing in this situation is that if I go into the BIOS before loading Windows, the computer will always startup correctly.

#7 Milks

Milks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:14 PM

I ended up backing up my data and then using the HP restore disks to reinstall everything to a new hard drive.  This fixed the problem.

Question:  Why would a "bad hard drive" always boot correctly if before going into Windows I first enter the BIOS (and make no changes to it)?  Whereas, if I did not first enter the BIOS, I would usually get the "Reboot and Select proper Boot device" error.

What is going on here?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users