Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Monitor will not turn on

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joannawongx

joannawongx

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:30 PM

I have a AOC computer monitor which will not turn on. I have checked that all the wires are plugged in correctly but it still doesn't seem to work. When I press the power button on the computer it comes but the screen just stays black. 

Could someone help me please

Thank you 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:21 PM

First of all - welcome to BC !

Really silly - Have you checked the fuse in the plug ?  Much less silly - I am not familiar with the details of these monitors - have you checked for an internal fuse ?  Unplug the monitor from everything, especially mains electricity, and turn it over and see if there is a fairly readily removable panel on the back of it, possible four Philips screws, if there is an internal fuse it will be hiding behind this.

If you do this be very careful of what you touch, there can be quite high voltages inside the casing even with the power disconnected.

Beyond these checks what you do depends on how old the monitor is. Less than a year, talk to your supplier about the problem and a warranty claim. More than a year, it might still be worth talking to your supplier but you are probably looking at a repair at your cost or replacing it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:49 PM

When I press the power button on the computer it comes but the screen just stays black. 

Do you hear confirmation the computer has booted (usually a BIOS single "success" beep)?

Does a power indicator lamp show on the monitor?

If the monitor has an independent mains connection (mains is supplied from a wall outlet, not a socket on the computer), will the monitor power up from its own power button?

If the computer beeps (normal boot up) and continues to load Windows (hard drive activity and startup sound), but there is no power indication on the monitor, or the monitor does not start up and show a splash screen/no input indication when you press its power button, the monitor itself is faulty, and as Chris has suggested, you can diagnose things like blown fuse.

If the computer does not confirm boot-up, and the monitor shows a power light but the screen remains black, this suggests the computer has developed a hardware fault.

If the computer beeps, continues to load Windows, there is a power indication on the monitor but the screen remains black, it may be the backlighting on the monitor has failed. If this happens, you can normally make out a faint screen image if you darken the room and hold a torch against the screen.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 claryfray

claryfray

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 01:08 PM

I'm having the same problem, and it would be really great if someone could help. Computer boots normally(from what I can hear) - no beeps. Power button lights up, LG logo appears, and then the screen returns to black like I've never even push the power button at all. All LED lights including power button are on though.

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

There's little distinction between brands of monitor in faults and diagnosis, so what has already been said applies. If a monitor shows the splash screen, then instead of the desktop or some type of "No Input" indication, the screen just goes black, you'd expect a backlight fault.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users