Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is freezing, slow programs to launch, Gameplay stuttering

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Donnyten

Donnyten

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

*Please move to right forum if incorrect.

Hello, 

I am having a problem with my computer. It is running windows 8.1. 

Recently, since this past week and a half my computer has been doing some intermittent freezing. Example, when I click on something, it will take the computer a few seconds to " think about" what I've just commanded of it, then it will resume completing the task. If I launch a program, it will freeze for 5-10 seconds then sort it self out to eventually opening the program, and worst of all, when I am playing a game, the game play/ sound will skip, especially during cut scenes. I can move my mouse but just can't click on anything. All the while this is happening, I can hear my hard drive making little noises, not clicks, but little noises that correspond to the intermittent freeze. Its especially annoying when I'm trying to play Alien Isolation icon_smile.gif.. the game will at times stutter and the background music skips like crazy, all the while the HDD is making that noise ( not a click)

The freezing is directly related to the hard drive and I know this because I have studied its pattern of sound, when it makes the noise like its "thinking" of what to do, that's when the freezing is happening. I've ran several hard disk utilities and no errors have been found. Here are my specs. I would appreciate it if someone could assist me on what the problem may be. I suspected a drive failure but no tests indicate my drive is failing. that's the only problem really. This is a recent issue actually, about 1.5 weeks old. This has never happened to me before. I seriously hope this is not a hard drive problem. I've gone through so many hard drives in recent times.

excuse me for my English as it is not my native language 

gigabyte 990fx ud3
2TB- Western Digital Drive ( problem drive)
1TB-Seagte Drive
AMDFX 9370 processor
8GB of ram
Geforce 550 ti graphics card

Edited by Donnyten, 21 January 2015 - 02:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Donnyten

Donnyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:23 PM

I'm pretty sure it's not the temperature. Is there a setting I can change or something? I read that you can change when mode the hard drive is in or something like that to make it run a bit faster

#3 Donnyten

Donnyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

Even when I'm trying to scroll through a freaking webpage and will freeze, for three seconds then resume scrolling. This is so annoying

#4 kingofchris

kingofchris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:10 AM

im having the same issue, but i dont have that noise...

and i reinstalled my windows and is stil happening

... before reinstalling my OS y tried reinstalling my GPU drivers etc, checking any posible overheating, memory test, i checked on task manager my processor's monitoring thing etc and everything was fine, even the temperature

#5 Donnyten

Donnyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:33 AM

As expected, the problem seems to have been the hard drive.  

I wiped my other HDD, started fresh and i'm not getting that problem anymore. I had even reinstalled windows on the malfunctioning/freezing HD but the problem was still there.

The rate at which my hard drives have failed me over the years is unforgivable. I' m wondering if I should just create a windows to go flash drive, and see how that works out.  Havent had a single flash drive crap out on me, yet, hard drives are failing left to right.  Makes no sense at all

Run windows from the flash drive, run games from internal HD. its worth a try

Edited by Donnyten, 22 January 2015 - 08:58 AM.

#6 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:46 AM

So bro your change of HDD worked? :)

#7 kingofchris

kingofchris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

did he changed his HD for a new one?

#8 Donnyten

Donnyten
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Yes. I installed My OS on my other drive. If you suspect the hard drive to be the problem I would suggest doing the same thing. Thanks for the advice techie

#9 AbsTechie

AbsTechie

• Banned Spammer
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 22 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

You are welcome.:) Have a look at my youtube channel.I make gaming tech videos.If you like the videos then subscribe.Channel link : https://www.youtube.com/user/AbsTechie

#10 kingofchris

kingofchris

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

HAHAHA! ok fixed

it was my HDD  :(

i bought a new one and now its fixed the problem

thank u :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic