Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's Free ! For A Year...For Win 7, 8 and 8.1 Users

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#31 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I doubt having a petition against Microsoft for this will work to be honest, I could easily see them not giving a damn about it and just continue acting the way they are right now.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

LOL, Agreed but hey, wishful thinking :)

How else will MS ever learn of their disasters?  How much more can we allow such a company to continue to do this to us?

I was thinking, why can't they have just 2 OS's with separate upgrade paths?  The consumer vs- Business editions.  Business editions would get a full upgrade  every 5-10 years perhaps while the consumer edition would get updated every 3-4 years.  The OS's would be more modular where pieces of it would get updated (i.e. System Security portion, browser updates, etc)

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#33 shanepearce

shanepearce

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:12 PM

well they are not yet sending emails saying your software is out of date 

You are currently running WinZip 18.5 Standard but we recently released WinZip 19.

Your WinZip Software is Out of Date ‏Your WinZip Software is Out of Date ‏

Your version is out of date and there are many new and useful time-saving features you have been missing out on that will help you get more done.

Ashampoo is the same

Edited by shanepearce, 08 February 2015 - 06:13 PM.

#34 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 06:57 PM

What do you mean by that exactly shane?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#35 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:47 PM

Well, I hope shanepearce is aware that those updates are probably more about installing adware.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#36 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

How else will MS ever learn of their disasters?

Easy you vote with your wallet,  Do not buy a PC with Windows on it, Use Mac or Linux, If enough people did that MS would listen, Right now they have no reason to.

#37 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 PM

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:18 PM

NickAu....that's a terrible idea. Do you have any idea what that would do to the world economy? Think about it. All of the repair shops, security programmers,

Microsoft online helpers and programmers, Windows apps suppliers and programmers and on and on. Terrible...absolutely terrible idea. :devil:

Besides, Linux and other OSes would become targeted by all those criminals who depend on Windows for their victims.

Redmond would become a ghost town.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#38 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:21 PM

Easy you vote with your wallet,  Do not buy a PC with Windows on it, Use Mac or Linux, If enough people did that MS would listen, Right now they have no reason to.

If only I knew where to buy laptops and computers without an OS on it, that aren't custom build, that would help a lot :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#39 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,700 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

If only I knew where to buy laptops and computers without an OS on it

Perfect Linux machine.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Intel-i3-4350-4GB-RAM-1TB-HDD-NO-OS-Budget-Office-Desktop-PC/121549141504?hash=item1c4ce4b600

Not a bad deal and again perfect for Linux.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/AMD-Quad-Core-A8-6600K-3-9GHz-Gaming-Computer-8GB-1TB-Radeon-Gaming-Desktop-PC/321508292915?hash=item4adb633933

NickAu....that's a terrible idea. Do you have any idea what that would do to the world economy? Think about it. All of the repair shops, security programmers,

Microsoft online helpers and programmers, Windows apps suppliers and programmers and on and on. Terrible...absolutely terrible idea.

Yes good point.

Edited by NickAu, 08 February 2015 - 08:29 PM.

#40 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2015 - 08:29 PM

I cannot access the second item, and in order to be efficient, these would have to be sold in store since I doubt a lot of people buy their computer online.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#41 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:05 AM

Take some time to learn to build your own.  It's not like working on a car or rocket science.  The hardest parts are installing the CPU and heatsink.

#42 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 06:21 AM

Not everyone is going to learn how to build their own computer. I know everyone should, but it's not like some people will take the time to shop hardware component, make sure they are compatible, assemble the computer, install Windows, etc.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#43 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:18 PM

:)  True.  I'm no mechanic and I own a car.  I jut find it fun to piece together something.  Like playing with legos :)

#44 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Not everyone is going to learn how to build their own computer.

Right enough, but any medium or large shop selling computers should have to have a few where the user can just buy hardware and put whatever they wish upon it, I'd let the small shops of this requirement just because some of them might not be able to and small businesses are always a good thing to have around, though i suspect they too could improve sales if they tried to do it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#45 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:17 PM

Now the thing will be to identify the kind of computer/laptop model that they'll sell without an OS, and if they're going to be attractive enough for people to buy them. There's a whole complexity, pattern to follow behind this idea and I guess it'll be hard to put in place.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users