Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

It's Free ! For A Year...For Win 7, 8 and 8.1 Users

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:03 PM

Read more about what 10 offers in the link below.

BBC News - Windows 10 upgrade to be 'free' for one year

Microsoft has announced that its next operating system will be offered as a free upgrade to owners of devices running Windows 8, Windows 7 and Windows Phone.

The announcement marks a change in strategy to its previous policy of charging for major updates.

The offer, which is limited to the OS's first year of release, may aid its adoption.

joe-dator-it-s-free-but-they-sell-your-i

Edited by buddy215, 21 January 2015 - 02:17 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

It's great, my own laptop and the Windows 7 laptop of my mom can be upgraded! <3

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:07 PM

So you have a year till the official release of Windows 10 to get it for free, or you can only use it for free for a year, then you'll need to buy a product key (licence) for it? Sorry, small language barrier here :P

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 M. de Jager

M. de Jager

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:08 PM

So you have a year till the official release of Windows 10 to get it for free, or you can only use it for free for a year, then you'll need to buy a product key (licence) for it? Sorry, small language barrier here :P

Don't hope so... Would be very unfair.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:16 PM

After release, you can get a free upgrade to 10. But you will need to upgrade within a year of 10's release.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

After release, you can get a free upgrade to 10. But you will need to upgrade within a year of 10's release.

Seems like a good deal to me. I'll have to upgrade right away then if I want to be ready to offer support for Windows 10 :P Thank you for the clarification.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#7 battyhippie

battyhippie

• Members
  • 430 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

Thanks!, buddy215. However the article does not state if the offer covers 8.1. Sooo, is 8.1 included or not? By the way, your cartoon gave me a good chuckle, esp in the light that the beta of 10 supposedly included a keylogger.

#8 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Windows 10 to be free upgrade for Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 users

Thanks!, buddy215. However the article does not state if the offer covers 8.1. Sooo, is 8.1 included or not? By the way, your cartoon gave me a good chuckle, esp in the light that the beta of 10 supposedly included a keylogger.

The latest is that 10 won't be released until sometime in the fall. I've read that today or tomorrow another trial or beta or whatever will be available.

Edited by buddy215, 21 January 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Great scam by Microsoft, They know lots of people will install Windows 10 and get rid of a perfectly good Operating System like Windows 7 without thinking and then in 12 months will have to pay for it because they wont have Win7 backed up.

Anybody thinking of doing this STOP, There is no reason to get rid of a stable operating system like Windows 7 for a buggy Operating System like 10, and buggy it is and will be, Run it as dual boot or on a spare PC but DO NOT rely on it as you day to day OS.

Edited by NickAu, 21 January 2015 - 04:36 PM.

#10 ianmcqui

ianmcqui

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:44 PM

Great scam by Microsoft, They know lots of people will install Windows 10 and get rid of a perfectly good Operating System like Windows 7 without thinking and then in 12 months will have to pay for it because they wont have Win7 backed up.

Anybody thinking of doing this STOP, There is no reason to get rid of a stable operating system like Windows 7 for a buggy Operating System like 10, and buggy it is and will be, Run it as dual boot or on a spare PC but DO NOT rely on it as you day to day OS.

:bounce:  Bouncing around with joy and remembering those poor souls who ugraded to Vista (spits on floor) in a similar deal because at least someone has the sense to question MS's motives on this new release.

Ta! Bud.

Edited by ianmcqui, 21 January 2015 - 05:06 PM.

#11 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

To anyone interested in the truth...

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

Hope this clears things up!!!

Rock On :guitar: My Friends!

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device

How long is the supported life time? 5 years 2 years? 20 years?

EDIT

And who decides the supported lifetime of a device?

Edited by NickAu, 21 January 2015 - 05:27 PM.

#13 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2015 - 01:54 AM

To anyone interested in the truth...

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/01/21/the-next-generation-of-windows-windows-10/

This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no additional charge.

Hope this clears things up!!!

Rock On :guitar: My Friends!

Tough nut there Microsoft. What if the HDD fails early or is destroyed/stolen?

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2015 - 08:26 PM

"Aura: Sorry, small language barrier here..."

That's not a language barrier, it's an unknown. What microsoft plans to do after that year's period has elapsed has not been confirmed, there are suspicions of many different things that might happen, some good for the user, some bad for the user, but whether any of those suggestions are accurate or not can't yet be determined.

The key question ofcourse is whether people actually want to risk leaving behind whatever working system they have right now and switching to a fancy new system that might well be riddled with bugs, have incompatibilities with their hardware or software programs, or cause other unforeseen problems.

Edited by rp88, 24 January 2015 - 08:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#15 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,722 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:32 AM

Also see here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/563998/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-the-first-year-after-launch/

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users